+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working holiday visa question

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
Hi

I am applying for a working holiday visa with a company called bunac. the Visa lasts for 1 year but I am able to extend the visa for a second year which would mean 2 years in canada. After 2 years would I be able to apply for permanent residency? If so how would I apply for this. If the answer is no, is there any other way that I would be able to apply for a permanent residency?

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
my understand has been that WHV and PR are completely separated from each other. you can apply for PR any time if you fulfill the requirements for PR. At least in the past, WHV did not provide any advantage for the PR application process....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get a skilled job as soon as you arrive in Canada and you keep this job for the full year, full time, at least 1950 hours and then for your 2nd year, according to my understanding, you must let your permit expire before you apply for Bunac again but again you have a skilled job lined up and work full time for a year, 1950 hours or more, you would qualify to apply for PR under Canadian experience class. Has to be a skilled job though.

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
Leon said:
If you get a skilled job as soon as you arrive in Canada and you keep this job for the full year, full time, at least 1950 hours and then for your 2nd year, according to my understanding, you must let your permit expire before you apply for Bunac again but again you have a skilled job lined up and work full time for a year, 1950 hours or more, you would qualify to apply for PR under Canadian experience class. Has to be a skilled job though.
When you say skilled job do you mean the list of about 30 jobs or could my job come under the NOC?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A skilled job is anything classed skill level 0, A or B in the NOC. Jobs classed C or D are semi-skilled or low-skilled.

The way to tell a skill level from the NOC is:

First digit is 0 = Skill type 0
First digit not 0 but 2nd digit is 1 = Skill level A
First digit not 0 but 2nd digit is 2 or 3 = Skill level B

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
Leon said:
A skilled job is anything classed skill level 0, A or B in the NOC. Jobs classed C or D are semi-skilled or low-skilled.

Im confused I dont know entirely what you mean, could provide me an example. My job title is Police dispatcher/communications officer I have done alot of customer service work in a call centre, worked for a jail and I have also worked at a Hotel receptionist. Do any of these occupations allow me to qualify as a skilled worker?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zebrapjs said:
Im confused I dont know entirely what you mean, could provide me an example. My job title is Police dispatcher/communications officer I have done alot of customer service work in a call centre, worked for a jail and I have also worked at a Hotel receptionist. Do any of these occupations allow me to qualify as a skilled worker?
Each occupation has a NOC code, that is a 4 digit code. You can find them here: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/OccupationIndex.aspx

For example, Police dispatcher: 1475 Dispatchers and Radio Operators
This NOC does not start with 0 and the 2nd digit is 4 so it is not skilled

Communications officer: 5124 Professional Occupations in Public Relations and Communications
This NOC does not start with 0 and the 2nd digit is 1 so it is skilled at skill level A

Call centre agent: 1453 Customer Service, Information Related Clerks

Also 2282 User Support Technicians
This NOC does not start with 0 and the 2nd digit is 2 so it is skilled at skill level B

Hotel Receptionist: 6435 Hotel Front Desk Clerks

More important than the title though is that your job description fits with the NOC description of the job.

zebrapjs

May 7, 2010
Leon said:
Each occupation has a NOC code, that is a 4 digit code. You can find them here: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2006/OccupationIndex.aspx

For example, Police dispatcher: 1475 Dispatchers and Radio Operators

Communications officer: 5124 Professional Occupations in Public Relations and Communications
This NOC does not start with 0 and the 2nd digit is 1 so it is skilled at skill level A

Call centre agent: 1453 Customer Service, Information Related Clerks

Also 2282 User Support Technicians
This NOC does not start with 0 and the 2nd digit is 2 so it is skilled at skill level B

Hotel Receptionist: 6435 Hotel Front Desk Clerks

More important than the title though is that your job description fits with the NOC description of the job.

So if I find a job where the NOC does not start with 0 but the 2nd digit is a 2 at a skilled level what does this mean? How will this help me get to Canada? Do it just mean that I can apply for other jobs similar to this in order to get a job offer?

If the NOC starts with a 0 what does this mean?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zebrapjs said:
So if I find a job where the NOC does not start with 0 but the 2nd digit is a 2 at a skilled level what does this mean? How will this help me get to Canada? Do it just mean that I can apply for other jobs similar to this in order to get a job offer?

If the NOC starts with a 0 what does this mean?

If you get a skilled job, you have a lot more options to immigrate to Canada. If you get a low skilled job, you have very few options.

With a skilled job, you can ask your employer to sponsor you under a provincial nominee program or if you manage to get in 2 full years of work, you can apply yourself under CEC.