+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday Visa - Applying for Permanent Residency.

Coconuts

Jan 26, 2008
I am currently working in Canada on an Australian working holiday visa and have been working as a web developer at a company for about 6 months now. I've been in Canada for about 2 years (I originally came here on a different visa).

I would like to apply for permanent residency, but I'm a little confused by the options.

It seems that because I am working already, that would count as arranged employment. It says on the CIC website that to be eligible you need “have a valid offer of arranged employment “. Also going another thread I read here (which I can't seem to post) , the poster said “ If you qualify to apply for skilled worker, you can do that with a job offer”.

So does that mean that because I'm working I can apply for permanent residency now? Does the HRSDC have to confirm my work place first?

It noticed it has a section underneath about Work experience requirements, but that seems to only be applying with work experience and not arranged employment. I hope so anyway because in the list of occupations it seems Information Technology is no longer there.

Thanks for your help :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a working person with arranged employment you need to send a copy of your work permit and a letter from your employer stating that they are offering to keep you employed once you become a PR. Since you are on an open work permit, you also might need your employer to verify what NOC you are working under so that immigration knows that it is a skilled occupation.

However, for this to work, your work permit needs to be valid not only when you apply but also when you get your immigration. I do not know how much you have left on your work permit but if it expires while your application is in process, you could be out of luck.

Another option for you would be to apply under CEC once you have 24 months of skilled work.

Another option would be to look at the PNP in the province where you live.

torontoluv

Aug 9, 2010
Hi Coconut
I am going to Canada next year on Working holiday visa, i would like to know if employers will be willing to employ me with this visa without restrictions or feeling reluctant to hire me and also if i like it over there in canada, will i be able to change my Visa statues from WHV to WP or PR?

Thank you so much

Coconuts said:
I am currently working in Canada on an Australian working holiday visa and have been working as a web developer at a company for about 6 months now. I've been in Canada for about 2 years (I originally came here on a different visa).

I would like to apply for permanent residency, but I'm a little confused by the options.

It seems that because I am working already, that would count as arranged employment. It says on the CIC website that to be eligible you need “have a valid offer of arranged employment “. Also going another thread I read here (which I can't seem to post) , the poster said “ If you qualify to apply for skilled worker, you can do that with a job offer”.

So does that mean that because I'm working I can apply for permanent residency now? Does the HRSDC have to confirm my work place first?

It noticed it has a section underneath about Work experience requirements, but that seems to only be applying with work experience and not arranged employment. I hope so anyway because in the list of occupations it seems Information Technology is no longer there.

Thanks for your help :)

Jane Lee

Dec 29, 2019
Hi everyone! I am a taiwanese and I want to apply for a working holiday visa in canada, but it'll only allow us to stay there for 12 months, I want to ask if I can apply for a permanent residency after that? Thank you!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth