+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for US employer by staying in Canada

canusa

Apr 5, 2010
Hello Experts:

I moved to Canada as a PR from USA while my green card (in USA) is still pending at final stages (Having EAD status in USA)
Even after I moved to Canada, I am still working(from home) for USA client and I am getting paid in USA through my USA employer.
I want to continue this job until my client and my employer are not having any issues. My situation is just like I am still working
in USA even though physically I am here in Canada.

Is there anybody in the same situation as me(as described above) ?

Is this going to create any problems with my USA immigrations processing ?

Is this going to create any problems with my Canada immigrations processing(Renewing the PR in future) ?

There will be any Tax issues while I am staying in Canada?

Any valuable information will be greatly appreciated..

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I can't advise you about US immigration or taxes, but for maintaining your Canadian PR status, if you are physically present in Canada, that maintains your PR status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canusa, regarding your PM which I can't reply to because your inbox is full, here are your answers:

1. It would be advisable to apply to renew your PR card only after you have your 730 days.

2. There are no risks in renewing if you can prove that you were in Canada at least 730 days in the previous 5 years before applying. It is a very common procedure to renew your PR card.

3. It is completely legal to work even though your PR card has expired. There are some PR's in Canada who never even had a PR card because they got PR before they introduced the cards and haven't travelled in the meantime so they have never needed one. You only need a PR card every once in a while to prove your status in Canada but landing papers or expired card could do the trick there. Instances where you might have to prove your status would most likely be if you moved to another province and would need to get a drivers license there and a health card in which case they may ask you to prove your status. If you stay where you are, it is unlikely that anybody will ask for it.