+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for a Canadian corporation while outside of Canada

xpro6000

Feb 29, 2012
Hello

I've been self employed for some time now and I can work from anywhere that I have access to an internet connection and computer. I would like to live outside of Canada for some time (at least more than 3-4 years), I know if I work for a Canadian company I don't have to be physically present in the country and I can still keep my PR status since I'm employed by a Canadian company. If I form a corporation in Canada myself and employ myself under that corporation would that still work?

Regards!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

xpro6000 said:
Hello

I've been self employed for some time now and I can work from anywhere that I have access to an internet connection and computer. I would like to live outside of Canada for some time (at least more than 3-4 years), I know if I work for a Canadian company I don't have to be physically present in the country and I can still keep my PR status since I'm employed by a Canadian company. If I form a corporation in Canada myself and employ myself under that corporation would that still work?

Regards!
Nice try, but no cigar

61. (1) Subject to subsection (2), for the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(iii) and (iv) of the Act and of this section, a Canadian business is

(a) a corporation that is incorporated under the laws of Canada or of a province and that has an ongoing operation in Canada;

(b) an enterprise, other than a corporation described in paragraph (a), that has an ongoing operation in Canada and

(i) that is capable of generating revenue and is carried on in anticipation of profit, and

(ii) in which a majority of voting or ownership interests is held by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or Canadian businesses as defined in this subsection; or

(c) an organization or enterprise created under the laws of Canada or a province.

Marginal note:Exclusion

(2) For greater certainty, a Canadian business does not include a business that serves primarily to allow a permanent resident to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada.

xpro6000

Feb 29, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

Nice try, but no cigar

61. (1) Subject to subsection (2), for the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(iii) and (iv) of the Act and of this section, a Canadian business is

(a) a corporation that is incorporated under the laws of Canada or of a province and that has an ongoing operation in Canada;

(b) an enterprise, other than a corporation described in paragraph (a), that has an ongoing operation in Canada and

(i) that is capable of generating revenue and is carried on in anticipation of profit, and

(ii) in which a majority of voting or ownership interests is held by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or Canadian businesses as defined in this subsection; or

(c) an organization or enterprise created under the laws of Canada or a province.

Marginal note:Exclusion

(2) For greater certainty, a Canadian business does not include a business that serves primarily to allow a permanent resident to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada.
I see, I'm a USC and the taxes for corporations are much lower in Canada, would saving on taxes be enough reason or would they still say its for keeping my residency?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
xpro6000 said:
I see, I'm a USC and the taxes for corporations are much lower in Canada, would saving on taxes be enough reason or would they still say its for keeping my residency?
CIC will say it's for residency.

As you've said, you can work anywhere there is an internet connection. So from a business standpoint, there is no need for you to be in the US.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you really need to work outside Canada, for example, can't you live in Whiterock, BC and work in Blaine, WA?

xpro6000

Feb 29, 2012
Thats too bad, I was looking forward to doing that, I wanted to live somewhere tropical for some time. Are there any other options which will make this possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
xpro6000 said:
Thats too bad, I was looking forward to doing that, I wanted to live somewhere tropical for some time. Are there any other options which will make this possible?
If you are married or common law (i.e. have lived together for at least a year) with a Canadian citizen and that Canadian citizen lives outside of Canada with you - then any days spent with the Canadian citizen outside of Canada can be counted towards maintaining your PR status in Canada.

Gary.Hak

Mar 11, 2013
Dear PMM,

What if you register a company and to be self-employed outside of Canada, but still pay taxes in Canada, which is basically the PR obligation.
I want to register a Project Management Consulting company and to live outside for at least 2 years. My services are requested outside and it is very hard to find job here in Canada, so while someone can sit on welfare I choose to register self-employed company, work outside but sill pay taxes here.
What Immigration will say in this case?

I would be very thankful for your response.
Sincerely,
Gary

Gary.Hak

Mar 11, 2013
Dear PMM,

What if you register a company and to be self-employed outside of Canada, but still pay taxes in Canada, which is basically the PR obligation.
I want to register a Project Management Consulting company and to live outside for at least 2 years. My services are requested outside and it is very hard to find job here in Canada, so while someone can sit on welfare I choose to register self-employed company, work outside but sill pay taxes here.

Sincerely,
Gary

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Gary.Hak said:
Dear PMM,

Sincerely,
Gary
Won't work. Immigration will definitely say no and the time spent working for this company outside of Canada won't count towards your PR residency. CIC closed this loop hole years ago.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Won't work. Immigration will definitely say no and the time spent working for this company outside of Canada won't count towards your PR residency. CIC closed this loop hole years ago.
But if this poster partner with a friend / relative satisfying what it means of a Canadian business (as define above), it might work.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
But if this poster partner with a friend / relative satisfying what it means of a Canadian business (as define above), it might work.
If to CIC its a pops and moms set up no dice...that's why the IRPA and Regs have the exclusion for business clearly set up only to meet the Residence Obligation...the clause is quite open too so gives CIC significant discretion to reject PR Card renewal.