+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working as a clinical psychologist or psychologist in general

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,
does any of you know the route to be a clinical psychologist?
do I need a PhD? can I work at nursing facilities or orphanages as a psychologist w/o PhD?
thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
do I need a PhD? can I work at nursing facilities or orphanages as a psychologist w/o PhD?
thanks
You need to look at the various licensing boards. You can provide counselling via various routes and many of them are at a masters level not a PhD.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
You need to look at the various licensing boards. You can provide counselling via various routes and many of them are at a masters level not a PhD.
thanks for the reply, we do not have counselors in my country so I don't know the difference between clinical psy and a counselor.
Do I have to study clinical psy. for my masters to be a counselor?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks for the reply, we do not have counselors in my country so I don't know the difference between clinical psy and a counselor.
Do I have to study clinical psy. for my masters to be a counselor?
There are various ways to be able to deliver therapy or counselling in Canada. I would spend some time googling. It is a complex question.

Ruby2021

Apr 19, 2021
Hello,
thanks
what is your qualification? Some province would require that you have a PHD to be a registered psychologist (e.g., Ontario), while Alberta only requires a masters. You would need to submit your credentials to the evaluating body of your province to determine if your courses are enough or if you may need to complete other courses. There are other licensing exams, supervised hours, etc that you may need to undergo before practicing. Check your province. E.g., for Alberta, it is the college of Alberta psychologist (CAP). All the step by step information is there. So, check the one for the province you are located. Blessings