+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit Extension - Implied Status

Johnkhuwaja

Star Member
Nov 1, 2018
Hi all,

I have submitted all my documents for express entry last month. Looking at the processing time, I doubt that I would get any update on my application anytime soon. In the meantime, my work permit expires on Feb 20, 2019 and I am eligible to apply for an extension under implied status. For that, I do have a confirmation document from the CIC which says that I could go under implied status because my application is in progress. However, when I first applied for my work permit, I only got my work permit for 2.5 years instead of 3 years because of my passport's expiration data so technically I could also extend my work permit based on the reason that now I have renewed my passport and I am entitled to get my remaining 6 months.

I am really confused about how should I be looking at this situation? Has anyone else experienced this situation. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

myra20sharma

Champion Member
Oct 5, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
30-05-2018
Hi all,

I have submitted all my documents for express entry last month. Looking at the processing time, I doubt that I would get any update on my application anytime soon. In the meantime, my work permit expires on Feb 20, 2019 and I am eligible to apply for an extension under implied status. For that, I do have a confirmation document from the CIC which says that I could go under implied status because my application is in progress. However, when I first applied for my work permit, I only got my work permit for 2.5 years instead of 3 years because of my passport's expiration data so technically I could also extend my work permit based on the reason that now I have renewed my passport and I am entitled to get my remaining 6 months.

I am really confused about how should I be looking at this situation? Has anyone else experienced this situation. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2c&q3_options=2c_ii

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all,

Thanks,

John
I'm guessing that you are under a PGWP. If that's the case then the only extension permitted is where the original permit was not issued for the full eligible amount of time. This appears to be your case, hence the eligibility for "implied status". Otherwise, there is no permitted extension for a PGWP. You would need to apply for a brand new closed work permit in that case.