+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit and PR

samurai1234

Nov 5, 2009
I do wonder about these questions and hope someone would help me

Can an employer or consulting company in Canada hire someone on H1-B visa of US?

Is it possible to get a work permit for H1-B candidate and can the employer file for PR for him and after what period?

Thanks in advance
Sam

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
samurai1234 said:
I do wonder about these questions and hope someone would help me

Can an employer or consulting company in Canada hire someone on H1-B visa of US?

Is it possible to get a work permit for H1-B candidate and can the employer file for PR for him and after what period?

Thanks in advance
Sam
You may qualify for AINP-US visa holder stream:

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/srsvisaholder.html

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
samurai1234 said:
Thanks for the reply. I see the IT profession is not listed in AINP-US visa program..
Hi,

It seems that IT is not one of the occupations that is "under pressure" in Alberta. You can look for an employer though (search the Canadian National job bank/monster.ca/workopolis.com), who's willing to hire you. IT I think is one of the occupations where a foreign worker doesn't need a labour market opinion to apply for a work permit.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Certain IT occupations do not need an LMO. Read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-tech.asp If you don't need an LMO, it will really help your chances getting a job because LMO is a hassle for the employer.

If you don't need an LMO, you can apply for a work permit with only a job offer. Otherwise you need the LMO to apply for a work permit. Once you are in Canada on a work permit, the employer can sponsor you for PR under a provincial nominee program depending on the province but usually they can do it as soon as you arrive if they want to. Otherwise, you can work for 1 year and then apply yourself under the skilled worker program or work for 2 years and then apply yourself under the CEC program.

If you need an LMO and can't get one, you could try to get an employer to give you an AEO which is not as hard to get. An AEO you can use to apply directly to a PNP from outside Canada or you can use it to apply for PR through the skilled worker program.

You can read about LMO's and AEO's at http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/supperimm.shtml

Rounakm12

Star Member
Mar 24, 2018
Hello Sir/Madam,
Hope everyone doing well!

I am on a closed work permit and my work permit is expiring soon in September 2020. I got an invitation for PR last week and at the same time my employer asking me to submit the document for the work permit extension for another year. So I am confused about which one I should submit first(PR or work permit extension)?

Also, Can I submit my closed work permit extension after the PR application submission? Please suggest the best approach.

Thank you, members :)

ani.lk

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
30-09-2022
AOR Received.
30-09-2022
Hello Sir/Madam,
Hope everyone doing well!

I am on a closed work permit and my work permit is expiring soon in September 2020. I got an invitation for PR last week and at the same time my employer asking me to submit the document for the work permit extension for another year. So I am confused about which one I should submit first(PR or work permit extension)?

Also, Can I submit my closed work permit extension after the PR application submission? Please suggest the best approach.

Thank you, members :)
I think PR process will take more time to complete. Since your ICT WP is expiring soon, better apply for WP extension first so that you can be in Canada and while your WP extension is in progress, you can start your PR process as well (Collecting all required documents, profile creation, language test if required, etc)

Rounakm12

Star Member
Mar 24, 2018
I think PR process will take more time to complete. Since your ICT WP is expiring soon, better apply for WP extension first so that you can be in Canada and while your WP extension is in progress, you can start your PR process as well (Collecting all required documents, profile creation, language test if required, etc)
Thanks for your suggestion. I have all the documents to submit my PR application and my employer is saying he will submit the Work permit extension application next month. Would it affect anything if I submit my PR application before the work permit extension? Pleas suggest

ani.lk

Star Member
Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
30-09-2022
AOR Received.
30-09-2022
Thanks for your suggestion. I have all the documents to submit my PR application and my employer is saying he will submit the Work permit extension application next month. Would it affect anything if I submit my PR application before the work permit extension? Pleas suggest
I don't think so, are you applying under CEC?