+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work in USA on H1B - Changing to Canadian Citizen

mr.maple

May 31, 2014
My situation is like below:

I was in Canada from past 8 years(on PR) and moved to USA on H1B before 7 Months. I am Indian born/citizen.

Now my Canadian Citizenship oath is scheduled in few weeks.

After my Oath Ceremony, i can apply for passport in 2 days and can receive Canadian Passport in a week time.

Can i travel back to US with my Indian passport right away ? or do i need to apply a new H1B Visa stamping and wait for it to be done on Canadian passport and then travel ?

What is the best possible/graceful way to do this ?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: msaurora

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

I was in Canada from past 8 years(on PR) and moved to USA on H1B before 7 Months. I am Indian born/citizen.

After my Oath Ceremony, i can apply for passport in 2 days and can receive Canadian Passport in a week time.

Can i travel back to US with my Indian passport right away ? or do i need to apply a new H1B Visa stamping and wait for it to be done on Canadian passport and then travel ?

Thanks!
As far as i understand, Canadians dont require to show the canadian passport itself but some proof that you are canadian and some valid passport. But check with cbp/attorney to confirm.
There is no rule specified that one should carry canadian passport itself to get visa waiver at the border.
Make sure your citizenship certificate with you and ask cbp/attorney before you travel.

Moreover you just need your valid I94 (and your previously expired visa which you should have having) to come to US within few days which will anyway allow you to enter through automatic revalidation rule. So getting canadian citizenship and not having Canadian passport should not be a concern and irrelevant for reentering within 30 days from Canada trip but you should tell the truth that you are indian and now a canadian too if they ask your citizenship (note - you are still indian till your give up your citizenship). if they ask why you dont carry/have canadian passport then show the oath letter and citizenship certificate (which are more than enough to travel). Carry your I797 and valid I94 (which you received by cbp/uscis) with Indian passport (+ citizenship certificate) should be good enough.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/~/automatic-revalidation-for-certain-temporary-visitors
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
If you re-enter the US using AVR or your H1B visa stamp after naturalization, and never apply for a Canadian passport, I wonder if this means that the Indian government would never find out about your Canadian citizenship, and that you would be able to get away forever without renouncing your Indian citizenship. Obviously not something that I would recommend doing since it skirts the law, but just a thought experiment.

rv85

Nov 18, 2018

Thanks!

Hello - I know its old thread though i am in similar situation. Can you please let me know what you have done and worked. I am planning to get my Canadian passport while in Canada itself. is there any issues coming back to USA on H1B which was initially tagged with Indian passport.

Reactions: msaurora

msaurora

Mar 21, 2023

Thanks!
Hi! I am in a similar situation right now. Except I live in Canada and work for US employer. Do you know if we have to get H-1B amendment filed? H-1B Visa is going to be still valid on Indian passport or we need to get it re-stamped on Canadian passport? Please advise.

msaurora

Mar 21, 2023
Hello - I know its old thread though i am in similar situation. Can you please let me know what you have done and worked. I am planning to get my Canadian passport while in Canada itself. is there any issues coming back to USA on H1B which was initially tagged with Indian passport.
Please advise your experience.

coolak2007

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
04-12-2020
AOR Received.
15-09-2020
Just curious -
1. Do we have to get a new H1B visa stamp once you change Citizenship to Canada (since Indian passport is invalid, which had last H1B stamp)
2. Do we also need an Amendment to the existing H1B I-129 petition?
I heard that Canadians (Non-Immigrant Intent with H1B Approval notice may not need H1B Stamp/Foil Physically?)
Please let me know, thanks