+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience Year Count

darpan07

Sep 14, 2016
Hi,

I am currently on a work permit. I want to apply for PR in the Canadian Experience Class category.

I have 2 questions.
  1. I joined full-time work in September 2018-right away after finishing my study. At that time, my work permit was applied. I received my work permit in November 2018. So my work experience counts from the date I applied or the date I received a work permit, i.e., September 2018 - September 2019 or November 2018 - November 2019, when I am eligible?
  2. As per requirement for Canadian Experience Class, I have completed 1-year continuous full-time job at 1 workplace. Can I switch job and still apply in the same category or I need to stay at the same workplace?
Thank you for the time and response!

A_D_cec

Star Member
Sep 10, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
06-09-2019
Hi Darpan,
You are eligible to work from the day you apply for your work permit. Just to be safe make sure to add your degree completion letter you submitted to get your work permit.
And, you can switch any number of jobs in the first year, your total work period needs to be a total of 1 year in the past three years. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html
Make sure you have all your Letter of Employment(s) ready. The letter(s) needs to include your period of work, salary and job duties which should match the NOC code you are claiming to have worked in.

darpan07

Sep 14, 2016
Hi Darpan,
You are eligible to work from the day you apply for your work permit. Just to be safe make sure to add your degree completion letter you submitted to get your work permit.
And, you can switch any number of jobs in the first year, your total work period needs to be a total of 1 year in the past three years. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html
Make sure you have all your Letter of Employment(s) ready. The letter(s) needs to include your period of work, salary and job duties which should match the NOC code you are claiming to have worked in.
Thank you for your answer. I checked that I am eligible to work from the day I apply for my work permit. However, I was told that for applying PR my work experience counts only from the day when I received a work permit and that is what confuses me. So right now I am eligible to create my Express Entry profile or I will have to wait till November?

A_D_cec

Star Member
Sep 10, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
06-09-2019