+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience gained in family business...so?

Thalia

Mar 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2011
AOR Received.
27 April 2011
File Transfer...
RBVO: 4 June 2011
Med's Request
11 June 2012
Med's Done....
26 June 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
7 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
11 October 2012
LANDED..........
13 May 2013
Hey, it's me again! ;D

Okay, everything related to work experience ready. Got my employment contract notarized, printed out my previous payslips and got my reference letter. Problem is that the company's name is under my father, since he is the owner. I have grown up working there and if had stamps from back then, believe me, I would put 10 years of working experience! hehe...but I only started to work officially, full time, proper salary, etc. after I almost finished my studies, 3 years ago.
Now the VO are not stupid. They will notice that the company's stamp and the employee share the same last name. What to do? Mention it on the cover letter? Not to mention anything since I was working like a normal employee? Both my degrees are related to the job and duties.

Please any advise would help me so much not to mess things up...

And a big THANK YOU to all of you for helping all us newbies in here! You do an awesome job!

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yoyu need to make a call between if it is self employment or a regular employment and subit documents accordingly

If you decide that it is a regular employment then do mention that in Cover letter that you work for your father's company and provide as much details as you can to convince the employer
•proof of business conducted with clients (invoices, bills, client references)
•income tax returns,
•proof of your licence to practice (if you are a private practitioner)

Thalia

Mar 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2011
AOR Received.
27 April 2011
File Transfer...
Med's Request
11 June 2012
Med's Done....
26 June 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
7 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
11 October 2012
LANDED..........
13 May 2013
Thanks for the reply!

No, I can't claim self employment, as I'm not a member of the company. Meaning that despite the fact that he is my father, there is no record of me being a co-owner or that I am getting paid from the company's annual profits. The papers I have are the same as any other person who works there.

So just to mention it on the cover letter?

Should my father write an additional personal letter or provide me with extra documentation regarding his business? Or I should avoid complicating things too much?

:)

Thalia

Mar 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2011
AOR Received.
27 April 2011
File Transfer...
Med's Request
11 June 2012
Med's Done....
26 June 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
7 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
11 October 2012
LANDED..........
13 May 2013
Thank you ankit_20 for your help.
I did as you said in the end. No complications, no explanations. After all I was working there all these years, gave them payslips, contract and reference letter. And the company is registered as "& Co. LP" so it's not exactly only my fathers.
I did my thing, lets just hope that there will not be a problem with it.

Thanks once again hun! :)

Reactions: Sassyvernon

magnitude

May 25, 2017
Thank you ankit_20 for your help.
I did as you said in the end. No complications, no explanations. After all I was working there all these years, gave them payslips, contract and reference letter. And the company is registered as "& Co. LP" so it's not exactly only my fathers.
I did my thing, lets just hope that there will not be a problem with it.

Thanks once again hun! :)

Hi
as you are working in a company that own by your father. I just want to know how was your experiance with Visa officer do they approved it ?

rituritz

Oct 5, 2012
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
NOC Code......
O
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
1-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Yesssssssssssss......
LANDED..........
12-august-2013
did your work experience got approved as you were working as an employee in your father's firm ?
I have the same question

Reactions: gaurul

rituritz

Oct 5, 2012
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
NOC Code......
O
App. Filed.......
20-06-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
1-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Yesssssssssssss......
LANDED..........
12-august-2013
Hey ritu
I could check from your profile that u are already in canada . If I am not wrong, u r a PR there... right ?
Are you asking this question for someone that family work experience counts or not??
I have left no stones unturned on this forum but did not came across a single person/story who got successful in getting PR by showing work experience on family business.
Do you know anyone who has sailed the boat through this way ??
I’m asking about my brother. He has got the employment offer and sinp approval as well. Just concerned if he can show the experience of his own family’s business

Reactions: gautam1 and gaurul

Aarti123

Jan 4, 2018
Anyone got an answer for this yet? I work in my family business but we don't have petty cash vouchers or anything as the store is extremely small and we get paid in cash. The amount is given to the accountant who prepares the fs .since we get paid vn cash I don't deposit the whole amt as I would have spend some before.ugh

mau123

Nov 16, 2018
Anyone got an answer for this yet? I work in my family business but we don't have petty cash vouchers or anything as the store is extremely small and we get paid in cash. The amount is given to the accountant who prepares the fs .since we get paid vn cash I don't deposit the whole amt as I would have spend some before.ugh
HEY, what documents you submit with your work experience (family business)? did they ask additional questions/proof?

Indiawala

Nov 22, 2022
Hi Aarti,

I am in the same situation as you, any luck with your application? Please update us

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi Aarti,

I am in the same situation as you, any luck with your application? Please update us
Stop spamming the forum with same question, let other members see and respond. This is not public office from 9-5 people respond here when they have time and as per experience. Wait please

Reactions: Naturgrl