+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work as a psychologist

KanHanChu

Oct 10, 2018
Wassup everybody! Help me please with some advices) I thinking about leave Russia for Canada and i got some questions, which are very important to me. First of all i'd like to describe a situation. I'm 25 y.o., got a PhD degree in social psychology and my dissertation is about suicide, but now i'm working with autistic kids. I plan to move to Canada by Express Entry program. So, the main question is: is it hard to find a job in Canada in psychological field? As i know, to be a professional psychologist in Canada you need to pass a lot of exams and even get your education again. I've asked some people who work in different canadian universities and all they said that job in university require a canadian education too. Is that truth? The thing is, that i got amount of money only for a year. Is it real to find a job in Canada in this term? Maybe not as a professional psychologist or associate professor, but in the field of psychology (social worker and etc.). Or, maybe, i should wait and try to make more money, more working experience and such things? Thanks a lot!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many of the professions you are mentioning require licensing so you will likely have to plan to undertake some studying/exams if you want to be a psychologist. Social workers usually need to have a masters degree in social work. Getting a job as a post secondary professor is very difficult and very competitive. Most professors at the college level either struggle to teach at a few different schools to make a ok salary and it is mostly contract work that gets renewed every term. There are a few lucky ones who get a permanent position or even tenure. I think moving to Canada while you are younger is easier. Much easier to do a classes or get relicensed early on in your career while you are young and single and then you can establish you career from the beginning in Canada. My opinion but there is no right answer.

KanHanChu

Oct 10, 2018
Many of the professions you are mentioning require licensing so you will likely have to plan to undertake some studying/exams if you want to be a psychologist. Social workers usually need to have a masters degree in social work. Getting a job as a post secondary professor is very difficult and very competitive. Most professors at the college level either struggle to teach at a few different schools to make a ok salary and it is mostly contract work that gets renewed every term. There are a few lucky ones who get a permanent position or even tenure. I think moving to Canada while you are younger is easier. Much easier to do a classes or get relicensed early on in your career while you are young and single and then you can establish you career from the beginning in Canada. My opinion but there is no right answer.
I see... Thanks a lot for the response! Well, looks like it's kinda tough) What's better in your opinion? Try to get local PhD degree or get a survival job and try to pass exams for a license?

Last edited:

KanHanChu

Oct 10, 2018

I didn't clearly understood about jobs such these - https://ca.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=254522b409a2c643&from=serp&vjs=3
It requires a psychological education and experience in researches, but not mentioning anything about assiciation membership requirments.
P.S. Sorry if bother a lil bit

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For a research assistant you don't need any licensing. You were asking about work as a psychologist or social worker. You would need research experience to get an interview for this job. Not sure if you have that type of experience.