+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work as a contractor on IEC visa?

Emily59

Jan 8, 2021
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to work as a contractor for an Irish company (company based in Ireland), while on an IEC visa in Canada?
Is this possible or do you have to work for a Canadian employer? If it's possible to work as the contractor for an Irish company how does it work with POE?

Thank you in advance to anyone who has answers on this!

Emily

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you have a POE? It must be a Canadian job offer to enter.

As of May 8, 2020, if you’re taking part in the Working Holiday, Young Professional or International Co-op categories you can come to Canada if you have:

• a valid job offer which includes a written note from your employer in Canada that says
  • a POE Letter of Introduction
  • proof of adequate health coverage
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/iec.html#s11

Emily59

Jan 8, 2021
Do you have a POE? It must be a Canadian job offer to enter.

As of May 8, 2020, if you’re taking part in the Working Holiday, Young Professional or International Co-op categories you can come to Canada if you have:

• a valid job offer which includes a written note from your employer in Canada that says
  • a POE Letter of Introduction
  • proof of adequate health coverage
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/iec.html#s11
Thank you for your reply! Yes I have a POE but do not have a Canadian job offer because my employer asked me to continue working for them. So working as a contractor is then not possible as I need the Canadian job offer?

Thanks,Emily

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply! Yes I have a POE but do not have a Canadian job offer because my employer asked me to continue working for them. So working as a contractor is then not possible as I need the Canadian job offer?

Thanks,Emily
Yes, you need a Canadian job offer. Work with your current Irish firm doesn’t allow you entry into Canada.

Reactions: Emily59

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010

Thanks,Emily
There's no legal restriction on you working in that way however you wouldn't be able to secure a travel exemption off the back of it.

Also keep in mind that you won't be able to claim any work experience from that job towards a future work permit or PR application as Canadian work experience. If you're just planning to do that job and be in Canada short term though then that's no problem.