+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my experience be counted as Foreign Experience?

sky-bison

Jul 8, 2020
I am currently working as a remote engineer in a Canadian startup as an independent contractor.
My work is 40 hr/week.
Will my experience be counted as Foreign Work Experience if I apply for express entry? Or should I get a full time job at my country?

What if I study & then work (full time) in Canada for a year and apply through CEC? Will it be still counted as Foreign Work Experience for CEC application?

By the way, does working as a graduate research assistant under a professor in a foreign university be counted as foreign work experience? If yes, what is the NOC code?

Thanks in Advance.

sky-bison

Jul 8, 2020
No, I am from outside of Canada.
The agreement states that -
"This agreement is made with the Contractor as an independent contractor and not as an employee of the Company."

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You might have some difficulty counting that as experience if you're perceived to be independent of the company, i.e. you set your own working hours, were free to work elsewhere, provided your own computer, etc.

sky-bison

Jul 8, 2020
Won't it be considered as self-employment? As far as I know, self-employment is counted towards foreign experience.
By the way, the contract agrees about 40hr/week.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Sorry, you're right. We're on the CEC forum so that's why I brought that up as self-employment can't be counted as Canadian work experience. But if it's foreign experience then you're fine.