+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will Canadian citizenship impact my Green Card application?

Nov 6, 2018
I work for a large American company in downtown Detroit. I’m currently an Indian citizen and working on H1-B visa (I-140 approved with priority date of March, 2014). I’m planning to apply for Canadian PR. I understand that you need to live in Canada for 3 out of 5 years to be eligible for Citizenship. I plan to live in Windsor and commute to work every weekday to Detroit and keep working at the current employer.

- Will Canadian Citizenship impact my Green Card application and priority date (assuming I continue with the same employer. So, no job change, or drastic career move within the company) ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I work for a large American company in downtown Detroit. I’m currently an Indian citizen and working on H1-B visa (I-140 approved with priority date of March, 2014). I’m planning to apply for Canadian PR. I understand that you need to live in Canada for 3 out of 5 years to be eligible for Citizenship. I plan to live in Windsor and commute to work every weekday to Detroit and keep working at the current employer.

- Will Canadian Citizenship impact my Green Card application and priority date (assuming I continue with the same employer. So, no job change, or drastic career move within the company) ?
It shouldn't affect it but as you are at least 5 years away from gaining citizenship, you may not need to worry about it anyway.

Nov 6, 2018
It shouldn't affect it but as you are at least 5 years away from gaining citizenship, you may not need to worry about it anyway.
Thanks for responding. I know I am at least 4-to-5 years away from getting Canadian citizenship but it is always sensible to plan in advance. The only point of immigrating to Canada is to keep my spot in the GC line. If that's at risk, why to spend the time and money!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for responding. I know I am at least 4-to-5 years away from getting Canadian citizenship but it is always sensible to plan in advance. The only point of immigrating to Canada is to keep my spot in the GC line. If that's at risk, why to spend the time and money!
1. First try and get it as you have plenty of time (2 years) to plan.
2. Getting a spot from outside Canada is not easy unless you get good score. Also rules change every year hence trying for PR next year is more tough than current year.
3. Also you cant just be in line for ever as you have residency obligation to meet once you become permanent resident. You cannot maintain/meet residency obligation if you are not working in border city like Detroit. So border city job makes easier for maintaining PR(or getting citizenship) hence utilize the chance you have which many others dont have.

If you need to immigrate without waiting on uncertainty of GC: Its wise to first try, get it, utilize it (stay for 3 years while you have job at border) and apply for citizenship and then wait for whatever you want. I dont think 2014 PD is going to be very soon (not in the next many years - 7,10,15+ years).