+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife landed immigrant

Girwin

Aug 28, 2006
Good day all,
My wife is a landed Canadian Immigrant from the states. She was married to a Canadian until 7 years ago. She has been here with me in the states for 7 years, on and off. The company I am with is folding and I have some offers in the south central Ontario area but they do not sponsor immigrants. My question is: Can my wife sponsor me under the spousal laws? Will that make me eligible for work in Canada? We already have a place to live (my wifes daughters guest house) and work in my field. As this is all new to me any help would be appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Girwin said:
Good day all,
My wife is a landed Canadian Immigrant from the states. She was married to a Canadian until 7 years ago. She has been here with me in the states for 7 years, on and off. The company I am with is folding and I have some offers in the south central Ontario area but they do not sponsor immigrants. My question is: Can my wife sponsor me under the spousal laws? Will that make me eligible for work in Canada? We already have a place to live (my wifes daughters guest house) and work in my field. As this is all new to me any help would be appreciated.
If your wife is a PR not citizen, and she has been outside Canada for 7 years , it quite likely that she has lost her PR status (2 years residence in every 5)
So without PR status she cannot sponsor you and you would either have to be included in a sponsorship of her by her daughter (long process) or apply as a skilled worker another 2/3 year process.

PMM