+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who payes property tax - owner or tenant?

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Hi

Can someone please elaborate on the practise in Ontario - who pays property taxes, the owner or the tenant?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Normally I would assume that the owner does it because it is his property. You just pay your rent and your utilities as agreed in the rental contract. I suppose you could agree in the rental contract that you will pay the property tax if you want to.

You can find some info and help at the tenants board at http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/STEL02_111281.html

captain74

Star Member
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks Leon

The question came to mind as I currently live in England where the tenant pays the council tax (which is in spirit the same as property tax).

Cheers!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From my experience as a tenant in Canada, I have not had to pay property tax. Different things may be included in the rent so you have to look at the rent you are paying vs. how much is included. Heat and water are often included. Sometimes power as well. That's with apartments. With a house, it is more likely that you are paying for more of the utilities. Some apartments also include cable or satellite TV in the rent. You will know what is included from the ad, ask when you look at the apartment and last but not least and very important that it should say on your rental agreement.