+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which NOC for this particular case?

kony5669

Oct 7, 2020
Hi! I've got a question regarding which NOC to give one of the jobs I added for points for CEC. I haven't gotten the ITA yet.

My situation is that I worked for a company for 3 months, starting in Nov 2019 and my work permit (tied to employer, LMIA-exempt) with them was approved with the 5241 NOC but the job fits the 5223 NOC better.

I put 5241 when I filled out my profile because I figured that's the information that the IRCC want, since they approved the permit as a 5241, but now I'm realizing that I'll need a letter from my employer when I get the ITA and they'll want to describe my duties like the 5223 NOC.

So I'm not sure, should I go with 5223 even though that's not the permit the IRCC approved in Nov 2019 (WP doesn't say 5241 but it might be in their records) or should I go with 5241?

Thanks for your help!

kony5669

Oct 7, 2020
Go with the duties you actually performed.
Thanks for your answer. My concern is that the IRCC might fear misrepresentation since they approved a 5241 permit (my WP doesn't say NOC though), so if I go with 5223 (the duties I actually performed), it might not match their records or something like that and it might be look bad.

Do you think that won't be a problem and it's more important to match my duties?

kony5669

Oct 7, 2020
Your primary NOC must match the duties you actually performed.
Thanks for your answer. My primary NOC on my application is 5241, since most of the jobs I've had are in that NOC but 1 is 5223 and then there's this other one I'm not sure what to do about.

oaktest1986

Sep 21, 2020
Hi there,
Did you get any answer on this or approached any lawyer? because I summited my profile with 5241. Even my duties are almost matches with 5223 (as per my reference letter) which is slightly contradict my initial work permit (LMIA) and current permit (Exempt LMIA) says 5241. Even, I'm confused now.

fyi: for LMIA and LMIA - exempt - employer specific, IRCC have the candidate's NOC code on their record because when you order GCMS note, there is a Colum called integrated search/foss search in which your noc and employer name will be mentioned with your permit end date.

Last edited:

kony5669

Oct 7, 2020
Hi there,
Did you get any answer on this or approached any lawyer? because I summited my profile with 5241. Even my duties are almost matches with 5223 (as per my reference letter) which is slightly contradict my initial work permit (LMIA) and current permit (Exempt LMIA) says 5241. Even, I'm confused now.

fyi: for LMIA and LMIA - exempt - employer specific, IRCC have the candidate's NOC code on their record because when you order GCMS note, there is a Colum called integrated search/foss search in which your noc and employer name will be mentioned with your permit end date.
No, sorry, I have not spoken to a lawyer and I don’t have any more info than when I posted my question.