+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which address and contact number to use while applying?

LTheanine

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Hi,

I am still in my home country and will be arriving in canada soon as I have been approved already as a PR and already got my COPR and visa.

I am creating my resume right now.. is it advisable to put my address in my home country and contact number, or should I just leave it off for the meantime? Or should I put my friend's address in canada? it is where I am going to live.

Thanks

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
After arriving in Canada I took part in a post-graduate program in a university where they advised us to not put any address at all in the resume as the employer might use that information to filter your resume out.
However, sometimes you have to give an address to be registered in the system. In that case I would think if you know already where you are going to live it should be fine to give your friends address. I never had a case where an employer used the address to send me an invitation letter or whatever.

The phone number is a more difficult question. Sometimes I do get cold calls after applying somewhere where the employer is just calling you without setting up a time before. So you need to be reachable at the phone number you give, but if it is not a Canadian phone number that will probably raise some flags for employers and your resume won't be considered.

In the end my advise would be to just come to Canada, get a Canadian phone number as quickly as possible and then go job hunting. Of course you can also start applying from your home country already, but I don't think that you would get a lot of responses, if any at all.

Reactions: nambaliya

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hi,

I am still in my home country and will be arriving in canada soon as I have been approved already as a PR and already got my COPR and visa.

I am creating my resume right now.. is it advisable to put my address in my home country and contact number, or should I just leave it off for the meantime? Or should I put my friend's address in canada? it is where I am going to live.

Thanks
Hi,

The first thing is arrive in Canada.
Update your resume once you landed here.
As you put the number, the first thing the employer do is calling the candidate, be ready to receive the call.

Good Luck

LTheanine

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Thanks guys.. how about put the mobile number of my friend who is already residing there and just include in my cover letter that I am arriving on this date? has anybody tried that?

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Thanks guys.. how about put the mobile number of my friend who is already residing there and just include in my cover letter that I am arriving on this date? has anybody tried that?
It would eventually not rip off anything.
As they may not consider your profile.
Technically, why you want to reduce your chance of getting interview call by that?
As most of things are automated, if they reject you and once you reach Canada, update your resume and re-apply. Since they earlier rejected you, it is rarely you would get call, if they match up on your name.
My honest advise is to land in Canada, get your resume updated with all correct & reachable info then apply for jobs.

Good Luck

nambaliya

Star Member
Aug 13, 2018
Hi,

Thanks
I am in the exact same situation. The only difference is that I bought a virtual number for Canada from Sonetel. I was thinking that chances of getting a call will increase if an employer sees local number. But then I am going to land in November, if I have circulated resume and then I land then the contact number will change to a proper Canadian number. In that case, virtual number will be useless.

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
I am in the exact same situation. The only difference is that I bought a virtual number for Canada from Sonetel. I was thinking that chances of getting a call will increase if an employer sees local number. But then I am going to land in November, if I have circulated resume and then I land then the contact number will change to a proper Canadian number. In that case, virtual number will be useless.
Eventually it would be.
Rephrasing: Do not reduce your chance of getting interview call by applying from home country.
However when you would be near to date of landing, you can try that, say a week before or something.
Good Luck