+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to marry?

puddytat

Mar 10, 2012
Hello, I have a question. I'm Canadian and been living in Germany for over ten years with my German husband. We are now divorced. I met someone else and we hope to marry but that's our problem, we don't know where it would be easier. Should we marry here in Germany or in Canada. A friend was saying we should marry in Canada because if we marry in Germany they won't allow him in Canada. We hope to move in two years back to Canada, so when should I start to sponsor him and how does this family sponsorship work? thanks for any answers :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

you can get a lot of info on spousal sponsorship on this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

As for how to sponsor your husband, it depends a lot on if he is visa exempt to Canada or not.

Lets say your husband is visa exempt. If that is the case, you can marry him anywhere and it will not affect his ability to come to Canada as a visitor with his visa exempt passport.

Lets say your husband is not visa exempt. If that is the case, he would have to apply for a visa to visit Canada. If he applies for a visa a single guy, he would probably have a better chance of getting it than applying as the husband of a Canadian. However, applying for a visa saying that he is single and putting the purpose of his "visit" down as travel and leisure when you are planning to sponsor him all along would be kind of deceptive towards immigration and they would not like that very much.

However, if you are not moving until 2 years from now, you have plenty of time. Apply to sponsor him now. As a Canadian, you may sponsor while yourself being outside Canada as long as you show plans to move to Canada when he gets his PR. Plans could be having a job offer, having a place to stay, having been accepted to college or at the very least having plans on where you are going to live, what kind of jobs you will apply for and supportive family that knows about you and might even lend you a basement to live in while you look for housing. If you do this, he will have his PR in good time before you plan to move. He would however have to make one trip to Canada to land as a PR once he gets his PR visa. Once you move, he is already a PR, can get a SIN right away and look for a job.

PG

Dec 21, 2010
puddytat said:
Hello, I have a question. I'm Canadian and been living in Germany for over ten years with my German husband. We are now divorced. I met someone else and we hope to marry but that's our problem, we don't know where it would be easier. Should we marry here in Germany or in Canada. A friend was saying we should marry in Canada because if we marry in Germany they won't allow him in Canada. We hope to move in two years back to Canada, so when should I start to sponsor him and how does this family sponsorship work? thanks for any answers :)
I guess you are aware that marrying in Germany anytime immediately is not possible. You may opt to go to other neighboring country (Denmark). Or may be its different in your case based on the nationalities of you both.