+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

where should I drop my I-94 in buffalo and meet CBP officer before I do landing?

New_applicant

Nov 10, 2009
hi,

I am planning to do my landing in Canada in December 21, 2009 and come back to the US in the same day (through Buffalo). I am still a student in the US and will finish my school in 7 months. I have a valid F-1 VISA that expired 1.5 years from now.

I have the following questions:

1- I was told from my friends that I need to report my departure from the US at the last US port of departure (in this case buffalo) and inform CBP officer that I am leaving for 1 day to Canada. Where do I do that in Buffalo? I have searched the web but could not find any info and contacted this number 716-888-4926, but they were not helpful.

could you please let me know where the CBP office that F-1 visa holders need to report to is located in Buffalo?

2- Do I need to give away my I-94 to the officer if I am leaving for just a day? is it ok if I give it on my way back from Canada? I am leaving by land (by bus) and I don't think there is any US officer that i will see on my way to canada! Please correct me if I am wrong.

3- Is the requirement in 1 only for NSEERS (special registration folks) or all international students? I was not required to go through special registration when I came to the US.

4- i was reading a couple of other threads on this forum, and some folks had to get some yellow slips (not sure what this is) from the US side before they get to Canada (Canadian officers told them to come back and get it from US side), and they had to get a stamp of "entry Refusal to the US", what is this yellow slip about? does the Canadian side of the border expect any processing to be done on my application (for landing) from the US side? This is a bit confusing for me and I just need more clarification if one side waits for papers from the other.

Please share your experience with as much details as possible. I want to do my landing in Canada before my canadian visa expires but also want to guarantee that all my paperwork is OK to come back and finish my degree that I paid thousands for in the US.

i hope this would be also helpful to others who have a similar situation.

Thank you.

New_applicant

Nov 10, 2009
Anyone??

If you know the answer to any question out of the 4 mentioned above, could you please share the info?

Thanks in advance.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. This is only for special registration.
2. Not sure. If you do surrender it and you have no valid F-1 visa, they are not going to let you back in on F-1 status. I believe that you can keep your I-94 for brief visits to Canada close to the border. IF you are surrendering your I-94 you will surrender it to the Canadian agent as you enter Canada. The Americans pick them up from them.
3. Special registration only.
4. You get a paper from the U.S. guy, however, if you have a valid I-94/I-94W that works as well. You need something to show you went to the U.S. and are coming back from there.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No problem!

Thinking about this, when I was an F-1 in the U.S.A., I think there is a note on the I-20 that says you can keep the I-94 for a certain time period when visiting Canada. Just make sure you have a valid signature (within the last year) on the I-20.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
when I was crossing the border to Canada, at the POE office they advised me to keep the I-94 for travelling back and forward to the US. I knew that I was not planning on returning to the US, so they took it from my passport right at the POE upon my request.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
If you are only going to Canada for a day, best to keep your I94 with you otherwise you pay USD6.00 again=)) Usually if you do not intend to go back to the US during the validity of your I94, it is best to ask the officers at the port of entry if you are traveling by land or leave it at the airport when traveling by air.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
they never charged me for I94. do they charge this sum when one is crossing by land? I was entering by air first time and they didn't charge me.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
I plan to land these days. I am sure that on my crossing the border to the US I will be given I94 again. Is there any way to ask them not to give it to me, as I will not use it at all - just spending an hour on the US side and return back to Canada?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you fly the price of the I-94 is included in the fees portion of the ticket.

You must have the I-94 to enter the U.S.A., but you can return it right away when you return. If you are landing you can get away with not getting the I-94, but they will sent you right back to the Canadian side, i.e. you won't be allowed to spend any time in the U.S.A. at all.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
thank you for your reply, Karlshammar. today, before landing, they gave me I94, and on Canadian side they didn't take it back. it's valid for 6 months, what should I do with that? should I give it up when I will be travelling home to collect my kids in 4 months time or I can keep it right till June?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my case I have been able to keep my I-94Ws for the full validity of them. Some places say 30 days. As long as you don't return it late they couldn't charge you with an overstay.

That being said, you can always write to them or call them and find out. I had to call them once on an unrelated matter for a friend and they were beyond helpful. When the lady didn't know the exact answer to my question she called someone in another office and had a conference call with the three of us so I could get my information.

Suin said:
thank you for your reply, Karlshammar. today, before landing, they gave me I94, and on Canadian side they didn't take it back. it's valid for 6 months, what should I do with that? should I give it up when I will be travelling home to collect my kids in 4 months time or I can keep it right till June?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
thank you again for your reply.
if I use it up to very end, where I will need to give it up at the end to prevent being charged in overstaying?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to go back to the U.S.A., then when you re-enter Canada you will surrender the I-94 to the Canadian border officer. The Americans pick the I-94s up from them.

Suin said:
thank you again for your reply.
if I use it up to very end, where I will need to give it up at the end to prevent being charged in overstaying?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
by that time my visa will be already expired, I will not be allowed to enter the US. is it possible just to drive to the Canadian customs and give it up there?
thank you