+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where do I get CAIPS Notes?

kanthony2

Sep 30, 2008
Hi

I had this useful information from someone else, which I do hope useful to many members.

Getting your CAIPS is fairly straightforward; you will have to pay $5.00 since you are requesting CAIPS notes for your spouse, who is not residing in Canada. I had instructions from someone on this forum on how to do it.

Follow the instructions below:

1. Have your spouse fill out this form:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5475E.pdf

Step by step instructions:

Tick the box that says "I authorize Citizenship and Immigration Canada... ... to release information from my case file to the following individual."

Then have your spouse fill out all of his/her particulars (his/her name, DOB, location of VISA Processing centre, i.e. The Canadian Embassy......... etc.)

Then have him/her fill out your own personal information under the headings titled "Designated Individual."

Have your spouse sign AND date the form at the bottom

OR, if you have already filled out this form:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5476E.PDF

then just send a photocopy of it along with 2. and 3.

2. You must now fill out this form:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf

Step by step instructions:

Leave the first two boxes at the top blank (Requesters Reference No. and Public Rights Administration file number).

Tick the box that says "Access to Information Act ($ 5.00 fee)."

You HAVE to pay $5.00, there is no way around this. Do NOT tick "Privacy Act" and hope they will just process it without you having to pay; this will NOT work. You must pay $5.00 since you are requesting the info on behalf of your spouse, and your spouse is not residing in Canada.

Select which language you wish to receive your notes in, English or French. (These choices are under the "Privacy Act" sub-heading. Then tick the box which says "Receive copies of the Records." .

Fill out your spouse's information.

Under the next heading, "Request for-Required Information" box, tick the "CAIPS (information abroad)" box and write "The Canadian Embassy ........." under the "Embassy" sub-heading, and write the "Visa File No." in the appropriate box.

DO NOT check any other boxes in this section. Especially the "OVERSEAS VISA FILE" box. If you do this, they will pull your file aside, photocopy everything and send it to you.
It will not only take you forever to get the information, but they will also take your file out of the queue to process your request and therefore it will take LONGER !!! (CAIPS is just a computer printout of all the work done on your file so far. It will not affect the speed at which your visa office)

In the next heading, tick the box which says "This request is being made by a Canadian Citizen..." Fill out all of your information in this box, name, phone number, address, etc.

Sign and date.

3. Make out a cheque payable to the "Receiver General of Canada" for $5.00

Enclose the cheque in an envelope with the other forms, and a copy of your Canadian ID or a passport copy and send it to the address below:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Public Rights Administration
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
Tel.: (613) 957-6512
Fax: (613) 957-6517

Hope this helps!!

Regards, kanthony2

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
Great info thanks!

knaeem

Dec 30, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rgvinson777 said:
Where do I order the CAIPS Notes and how do they take the payment for them? Any hel[p???
Download IMM 5563B & IMM 5475E from CIC website. Links for forms are below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5475e.pdf

Form IMM5563 : Access to Personal Information Form

Only these sections needs to be filled
1: Surname
2: First Name
3: Date of Birth
4: Access to Information ($5.00) - Only select Receive copies of the records.
5: Privacy Act(no Fees) Section - Only in English needs to selected
6: Request FOR- Demande Pour SECTION- Select only Caips
7: REQUIRED INFORMATION-RENSEIGNMENTS NECESSARIES SECTION - Only Embassy Name and Immigration file number to be mentioned
8: Request Detail by Canadian Citizen Section - Name, Phone Number, Address, Date & Signature of the person who is requesting CAIPS on behalf of you.

FORM IMM5475: Authority to release Personal Information to a Designated Individual

Only these sections needs to be filled out

1: Only Select " I Authorize Citizenship and Immigration Canada and Border......to the following individual"
2: Section (1-4) Give all your details: Full Name, Date of Birth, Embassy Details & Immigration file number
3: Section (5-6) All Details of your designated individual who is in Canada. Designated Individual can be your spouse or anyone who u know in Canada. Give all his details Name, phone number, mailing address, email address etc
4: Section 7 : Applicant Signature and Signature of your Spouse or Common-Law Partner

If you are in Moscow then the applicant should fill the form and send the scanned copies to the person in Canada so that after signing it he/she can mail it.

In the end the person in Canada should attach one draft of $5.0 with these document the cheque/draft is payable to the "Receiver General of Canada" . Also needs to be attached in the copy of his/her Canadian Citizen Ship Card or Canadian Passport Page of your spouse or Designated Individual with this application.

All of these documents are to be mailed at the following address:

Access to Information and Privacy Division
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1. Telephone: 613-946-095

seren8

Feb 17, 2011
Hi,

My wife and I are filling these forms out (she is sponsoring me, and the process seems to have stalled out after they for some reason needed me to go up to Canada to get an RCMP fingerprint check), but we have a couple of questions:

1. On form IMM 5475, for question #3, what do we put for the Name of office where the application was submitted and location? We live in the U.S. so applied outland - we originally sent to Canada, but then they sent it on to Buffalo, so not sure which to put.

2. On form IMM 5563, what do we put for the name of the Embassy? Is it the U.S. Embassy? Canada? Also, what should the Via file # look like? I have a UCI number and also an application # on the letter we received in the mail. I also have an email from them that has the application # and one that starts with a B and then 9 digits.

Thank you!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. If you're in Canada and the PA, you don't need the consent form, by the way. Anyway, I believe the name of the office where the application was submitted, per the consent form's field, would be Case Processing Centre-Mississauga. That is technically where the file was submitted as an outland application. It was only transferred to the visa office once CPCM completed the first portion, sponsorship approval.

2. Just write "Buffalo." Not a big deal about the wording. The file/application number starts with B and/or F and is followed by 9 digits. You can find it on your AOR from Buffalo, if Buffalo sent you one, and if they did not you can simply email them......and also CPCM has begun adding it to the sponsorship approval letter so if you applied since June, it would be there.

seren8 said:
Hi,

My wife and I are filling these forms out (she is sponsoring me, and the process seems to have stalled out after they for some reason needed me to go up to Canada to get an RCMP fingerprint check), but we have a couple of questions:

1. On form IMM 5475, for question #3, what do we put for the Name of office where the application was submitted and location? We live in the U.S. so applied outland - we originally sent to Canada, but then they sent it on to Buffalo, so not sure which to put.

2. On form IMM 5563, what do we put for the name of the Embassy? Is it the U.S. Embassy? Canada? Also, what should the Via file # look like? I have a UCI number and also an application # on the letter we received in the mail. I also have an email from them that has the application # and one that starts with a B and then 9 digits.

Thank you!

zohal

Star Member
Aug 11, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
February 2010, send it back on February 2010, more documents request on January 2011, send it back on february 2011
AOR Received.
February 2010
File Transfer...
February 2010
Med's Request
February 2011
Med's Done....
September 2009, February 2011
Passport Req..
April 24, 2011
How much it will cost me

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the person who the information pertains to is not in Canada, s/he must sign the consent form, send it to his or her sponsor, and have the sponsor send the GCMS request form, consent form, and $5 to ATIP. Otherwise, it's free.
zohal said:
How much it will cost me

AnupamDay

Sep 25, 2009
I am trying to get the VISA application file status for my cousin who submitted the app in London. What should I write on the form under 'Embassy' column.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
London, although when you say s/he "submitted the app in London," technically the application was submitted to Mississauga, Ontario and then transferred to London, UK.
AnupamDay said:
I am trying to get the VISA application file status for my cousin who submitted the app in London. What should I write on the form under 'Embassy' column.

bondar

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Miss 21 July 2011
AOR Received.
Cairo 28 Sept 2011
File Transfer...
Ottawa pilot 22 Nov 2011
Med's Done....
medical received Dec 9 2011
Interview........
8 FEB 2012
Passport Req..
13 FEB 2012
VISA ISSUED...
7 Mar 2012
LANDED..........
13 Mar 2012
Hi

Can someone tell me if this will be ongoing update or do you reapply and pay the fee each time?
Also what kind of information will we see from these notes?
How long does it take for you to get this information?

Thanks

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You must make a request for each set of notes. Unfortunately, since you're not physically present in Canada while awaiting the visa - as I imagine is the case- you'd have to pay the $5 fee for each new request as well. The information in the notes depends on how early you order them. If the file has been at the visa office for only a couple of months, you may not see much of anything, especially if you are being processed through one of the slower VOs. Otherwise, some examples of what you can see are whether the assessments - medical, criminality, security - have been started, incoming and outgoing communications, fees paid, and comments about the relationship between the sponsor and applicant, including pertaining to the interview. The documentation arrives within 30 days, but if you are sending and receiving through postal mail it would likely be a bit longer.
bondar said:
Hi

Can someone tell me if this will be ongoing update or do you reapply and pay the fee each time?
Also what kind of information will we see from these notes?
How long does it take for you to get this information?

Thanks

bondar

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Miss 21 July 2011
AOR Received.
Cairo 28 Sept 2011
File Transfer...
Ottawa pilot 22 Nov 2011
Med's Done....
medical received Dec 9 2011
Interview........
8 FEB 2012
Passport Req..
13 FEB 2012
VISA ISSUED...
7 Mar 2012
LANDED..........
13 Mar 2012
Thank you for your reply that helps. I live in ottawa and my husband file has been transfered to the ottawa pilot as of dec 9th. I guess i will wait a bit longer, its just so frustrating :)