When to Land

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Friends!

Can someone please answer the following for me:

My wife (Canadian) is sponsoring me (American) to immigrate to Canada. My wife's sponsorship application was just approved, so we are starting to think about the most appropriate time for me to land.

I currently have a good job in the States and I will be the main source of support in Canada, so it is important that I have a job lined up, if possible, before moving.

What I am thinking is that I could land and get my PR card so that I would be authorized to work in Canada and then return immediately to the States and continue working at my current job while searching for work in Canada. Once I get a Canadian offer, I can quit my job here and move.

Are there any flaws in this plan? Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you all!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
No real flaws except that some employers will be hesitant to hire you if they know you're still living in the U.S. So when you go about applying, you should use your wife's address, phone number, etc. And it might affect how you present yourself in a resume.

The beginning of the year is a better time to look for work than the end (holiday season). So keep that in mind.