+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When should an international student looking to secure a job after graduation start applying?

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
I don't mean applying for a job while your PGWP is in progress. What I mean is, suppose I have a dream job -- do I get in contact with the employers before my course has ended? Do I do it before my co-op placement even? I read that in the UK, students start applying for jobs as soon as their postgrad courses begin so wondering what the case was for Canada.

Basically, just wondering when I should sound out to HR of a particular company that I'm interested in working for them.

Sorry if it's confusing. Thanks!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You are free to apply for jobs whenever you want, but some employers will not agree to hire you until you have at least started the PGWP process. I assume this job is full-time? Why not approach them for part-time work, so you get your foot in the door. Can you work for them for your co-op? I applied to companies myself for my co-op places and that company that I done the co-op with hired me permanently after it. Not saying that is the norm, but it's worth exploring.

Reactions: lukeortolani