+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When I marry my kenyan husband - can I work in Kenya?

Discussion in 'Visa Offices in Africa' started by CanadaGirl2011, May 21, 2011.

  1. I'm getting married in Kenya to a Kenyan in Sept 2011.
    Do I have to apply for dual citizenship - if I want to apply for work in Kenya or do I get a different status once I am married.
  2. This is really a question for Kenya immigration, not Canada immigration.

    You can find Kenya immigration here: http://www.immigration.go.ke/
    Looking at their citizenship requirements here: http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=125 it looks like you must have what they call a dependant's pass before you can apply for citizenship.

    You can find the application for a dependent's pass here: http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90&Itemid=128

    It looks like once you have this dependant's pass, you would still need a class D work permit which you would get once you have a job offer and all requirements are met, see http://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=127
  3. Awesome I checked out the websites - I was worried that it would be difficult to sponsor my husband on a Canadian Spousal Visa if I was working in Nairobi -- but considering that Visa applications seems to take a long time I should be back in Canada by the time the process is becoming more active - it may just take a little longer in the beginning because I'll be sending the info from Kenya to Canada to get my approval to sponsor -- thanks for the info.
  4. As a Canadian citizen, you are allowed to sponsor your husband while you are living outside Canada. If you are only in Kenya on a visitor status, it would be easier for you to sponsor because you would not be considered to be exclusively living outside Canada. If you get a work permit in Kenya and are working at the time you apply to sponsor your husband to Canada, you might be considered to be living exclusively outside Canada and in that case, you would have to prove to Canada immigration that you will move to Canada when your husband gets his PR. Proof could include having arranged housing or at least a letter from relatives saying you can stay with them, having arranged a job or at least having looked at some job ads and having plans on getting jobs and/or having been accepted to study at a Canadian institution or at least having plans to study.
  5. visa spouse sponssorshi[p

    we send our files they were received on 26/jan/2012 and we heard from them yesterday 19april. he is eligilble to sponsor me nme now the file has beeb sent to my country kenya for processing .......fingers croseed

Share This Page