+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What stage is the marriage certificate required?

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
Hey guys,

We got married on Aug 8 and by Oct 4 we still hadn't received our certificate, so we followed the CIC phone agent's advice and sent in the application with the solemnization of marriage and a note saying we'll send our certificate when we receive it. One month later, we still haven't received our certificate, and it's getting close to the time that CIC will begin to process my sponsorship application.

Is the certificate required for my sponsorship approval? I'm wondering if we can get past the first stage without the marriage certificate, or if they'll put it on hold until they receive it.

Thanks!
Emp

canthai

Star Member
Jul 30, 2008
Empenguin,
For you to be able to sponsor your wife under the family class, she needs to be your wife and you need that marriage certificate for proof (see checklist #14). I think if you can notify CIC about your situation they should at least wait until you have the certificate to forward asap.

Hope this helps!

canthai

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
Thanks for your advice, canthai!

I just got a hold of a CIC agent and she said that it's possible that the officer processing it might accept the solemnization of marriage and forward it to the visa office without the marriage certificate. But I agree with you, I should get that to them asap. I don't know why Service Ontario is so slow with the certificate, it's driving me crazy. My friend got married a month before me and got his certificate in a couple weeks. For me it's been 13 weeks now and still waiting.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Go into Service Ontario office and ask for help. I have had to get a piece of paper from them before and kept getting letters in the mail asking for more info and my signature instead. Once I went in and provided everything to a person face to face I had it in 2 weeks.

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
Thank you for all your suggestions. I had never thought about going in person. However, the last couple days I've called in to nag them, and I don't know if it worked, but today the online status said the certificate is in the mail. So hopefully I'll be able to add that to my application in a couple days and my sponsorship approval won't be delayed!

Thanks again.

foggie

Aug 29, 2008
I was just approved to sponsor my husband and we were only able to submit the solemnization of marriage - so empenguin, you may be ok without.

I now have our marriage certificate (yay Service Ontario!), but our application has moved on to the London, UK office.

I have no idea if I am supposed to somehow get it to London office or just forget about it - thoughts? I can't call the London office to ask.

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
Thanks foggie. I was also just approved with only the solemnization of marriage on Nov 5. And I also just got our marriage certificate. You will have to send it, most probably to London office. Do *NOT* just forget about it. I'm pretty sure you still need that as proof of marriage. If you're in Canada, I'd say call the call centre and they'll give you the instructions. I'm guessing they'll tell you specifically what to write on the envelope and the note to include on the inside. Most likely your vital statistics and your client id, etc.

foggie

Aug 29, 2008
Empenguin I have PM'd you.

For everyone else this is of interest to, I have photocopied our marriage license and sent it to the London office. Unfortunately there is no way to contact CIC by phone outside of Canada as the phone number does not work. In the past I have had my Mom call and ask general questions, but I don't think that will work now as the questions will be case specific.

Again, thanks for the good advice.

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
foggie,

I'd suggest to have your mom set up a three-way call between you and the call centre if you needed to speak with them. Basically, you use *71. Have her call you first, she goes to the other line, presses *71, and then the CIC number. When she connects to that, she just presses the flash/link # again and you'll be connected. More detail for 3-way calling can be found here if you need it:

http://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvVoip_Dv_Fea3Way.page?regionToggle=true&languageToggle=true&content=/resources/templates/PrsCSrvVoip_VOIP_TAB.jsp&metaKey=PrsCSrvVoip_Content&province=ONTARIO&myurl=CSQ&mobility_upgrade=false&content=/resources/templates/PrsCSrvVoip_VOIP_TAB.jsp&metaKey=PrsCSrvVoip_Content&region=ON&language=en

My friend was doing this trick for his sister when her husband was applying for PR from the US.