+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the deal with all those nursery jobs in Windsor?

JenniferinFL

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Are they largely seasonal or are those year round greenhouses? Additionally, are there different labor rules for that sort of job? I noticed most of them require 20 hours of OT a week, which I'm fine with as long as you are paid more for the OT.

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum has ever worked those- it sounds fascinating to me. I've done a lot of manual labor jobs in the past and wouldn't mind another sort of mindless manual labor job.

I'm from the US and have a grad degree in accounting and should have my CPA exams completed before moving over- but, I've only been able to find entry level accounting work here in the southern US and it's not enough to actually get the experience for my CPA. I have the education, but, have only been able to do basic repetitive journal entries and bank recs.

I'm assuming I won't be able to find anything in accounting when I move over initially- so sort of looking for a nice, manual labor job where I can put in headphones and listen to audiobooks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are they largely seasonal or are those year round greenhouses? Additionally, are there different labor rules for that sort of job? I noticed most of them require 20 hours of OT a week, which I'm fine with as long as you are paid more for the OT.

I'm just curious if anyone on the forum has ever worked those- it sounds fascinating to me. I've done a lot of manual labor jobs in the past and wouldn't mind another sort of mindless manual labor job.

I'm from the US and have a grad degree in accounting and should have my CPA exams completed before moving over- but, I've only been able to find entry level accounting work here in the southern US and it's not enough to actually get the experience for my CPA. I have the education, but, have only been able to do basic repetitive journal entries and bank recs.

I'm assuming I won't be able to find anything in accounting when I move over initially- so sort of looking for a nice, manual labor job where I can put in headphones and listen to audiobooks.
You are unlikely to get hired if you have no experience and are likely to leave as soon as you have an accounting opportunity. Do you have PR?

JenniferinFL

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/32981361?source=searchresults

Some of those places had 70+ openings and lots of warnings that the environment is hot and dirty. Only required high school and no experience necessary. I do have extensive experience in warehousing and manual labor jobs- I've had my forklift license and driven a cherry-picker and that kind of thing.

The ads reminded me of some warehouse jobs I've had, where they lost people left and right and turnover was 100% monthly.

I do not have PR- I was just poking around because we sent in my application and I was curious what there was around there. I doubt I'll ever get hired for anything in accounting- my education is in the US and I can't get a real job here either. I see myself working at Tim Hortons or some warehouse type sweatshop somewhere.

My husband is a welder- he'll make more with just a high school diploma than I can ever hope to make with my grad degree. From poking around on Canadian employment sites, it seems unlikely I'll find work in an accounting field there either.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/32981361?source=searchresults

Some of those places had 70+ openings and lots of warnings that the environment is hot and dirty. Only required high school and no experience necessary. I do have extensive experience in warehousing and manual labor jobs- I've had my forklift license and driven a cherry-picker and that kind of thing.

The ads reminded me of some warehouse jobs I've had, where they lost people left and right and turnover was 100% monthly.

I do not have PR- I was just poking around because we sent in my application and I was curious what there was around there. I doubt I'll ever get hired for anything in accounting- my education is in the US and I can't get a real job here either. I see myself working at Tim Hortons or some warehouse type sweatshop somewhere.

My husband is a welder- he'll make more with just a high school diploma than I can ever hope to make with my grad degree. From poking around on Canadian employment sites, it seems unlikely I'll find work in an accounting field there either.
If you are a CPA I’m not sure why you don’t think you’ll find an accounting job.

JenniferinFL

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
If you are a CPA I’m not sure why you don’t think you’ll find an accounting job.
Maybe it's just bad timing- but when I searched there were maybe 5 jobs in Ontario doing the kind of thing I do AND they wanted something crazy like 5-7 years of experience. My work history is all in general ledger departments and most of the jobs seem to be audit or client taxation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe it's just bad timing- but when I searched there were maybe 5 jobs in Ontario doing the kind of thing I do AND they wanted something crazy like 5-7 years of experience. My work history is all in general ledger departments and most of the jobs seem to be audit or client taxation.
Not really great timing but there are other opportunities out there to work for a small firm for example.