+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens in a Medical Exam ?

adtemporary

Mar 30, 2009
Can someone explain how the medical exam is conducted ? Is there a full body stripping+exam or only blood tests etc etc

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Strip down to your underwear, walk for the doctor, sit on the table and get your heart beat listened to and your blood pressure taken. I can't remember anything else he did. There is also a lung x-ray, blood samples and urine samples.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

adtemporary said:
Can someone explain how the medical exam is conducted ? Is there a full body stripping+exam or only blood tests etc etc
Here is the list from the DMP handbook. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/section-11.asp

PMM

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I went through the medicals a couple of days ago. I have tried to explain as much as I can remember on my blog: http://journeytoalberta.blogspot.com/. Read the very top post. This can be varies depending on your doctor too.

PMM and Leon,

I declared that my wife had C-section twice on medical history form. Now I am wondering if the CIC is going to ask for more documents to know why the C-sections were performed instead of natural birth. Have you guys heard anything about this? Or there will be no questions asked for C-section operations/hopitalization?

BS 6353

Star Member
Mar 16, 2009
Medical examination consist of three parts:
1.History taking: about your present illness if any,past history of any disease or operation, any medication you are taking etc.
2.Physical examination: which include measuring your height,weight, blood pressure,pulse and other physical examination like chest examination,heart examination and abdominal examination.
3.Lab examination: Blood sample, urine sample and chest x ray.
Full body stripping is not required but varies from DMP to DMP.

joy4u

Jun 12, 2009
My wife had C-section twice. The DMP didn't ask for any kind of document submission for that. He only checked the scar. However, we had to submit the hospital discharge certificate for her kidney stone removal operation, which also stands as her fitness certificate for the same. We are in India and went for the medical to a DMP in Calcutta.

Regards
joy

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
My wife had C-sections as well, and I mentioned it on the forms when I filled them out. They didn't ask for anything. I guess the reason is the surgery is not related to a disease may be that is why.

He never asked me strip down to the underwear, however I had to open the buttons of my shirt but never took it out.

mom2karl

Star Member
May 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009 April
Med's Request
2009 July
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2009 November
LANDED..........
2010 March
In the breast exam, can we choose a female doctor to do this?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to choose a doctor approved by CIC. If there is a female doctor approved by CIC in your area, you can pick her.

Hot-Lier

May 27, 2009
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2011
Doc's Request.
17-4-2012
AOR Received.
17-4-2012
File Transfer...
14-08-2011
Med's Request
07-06-2012
Med's Done....
12-06-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
8-09-2012
There is allways a combination of male and female Doctors in each and every Area. So have a choice to go for a female Doctor. Sometime at the same centre.

S.K

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
05-08-2011
As Dr. Neelofer (female) and Dr. Mushtaq (male) at Ali Medical Center

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hot-Lier, when I had my medical, I had a choice of exactly one doctor. This will vary between countries/areas.

joy4u

Jun 12, 2009
I also didn't have any option for female doctor. The DMP we went to practices alone.

Regards
joy

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks guys for replying about the C-section. If c-section was going to cause an issue with the CIC medical people, I was going to go back to the medical center where we did our medicals and beg the nurse to change the form as she has not mailed the documents to Ottawa yet. It looks like we are going to be fine having been declared that on the medical history form.

The place we went to did not have an option for female doctor. He is the only DMP in the whole state of Utah. The breast checking was not that bad (a couple of seconds). She did not have to show him the breasts. The doctor slid his hand underneath the medical gown that my wife had to wear and grabbed the breasts for a couple of seconds. For me, he asked me to unbutton and unzip the pant and also had to pull the underwear down, so he can see the private parts as well as he grabbed the balls and asked me to cough. Sorry for using some graphic language here. I hope this experience may help others to be ready when they go for the medicals. I did not know these things when I went. But as others said, these things depend on the DMP you will see. Some will be very thorough and some will do just few simple things and you are done.