+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if a Canadian PR has to surrender his current citizenship

rhetorisch

Jun 12, 2008
A friend of mine is Indian and has the Canadian PR. He is living in Australia and has recently acquired the Australian citizenship. He now by Law has to give up his Indian citizenship. His PR card however shows his current citizenship, which is Indian. What would he need to do once he surrenders his Indian citizenship? Does he need to notify the local Canadian Consulate OR would he have to take this up with the CIC? If so, how?
Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He should notify the Canadian consulate or embassy that he is no longer an Indian citizen but Australian. He should photocopy his Indian passport before handing it in and he can give them copies as well as from his new Australian passport. However, since he is getting citizenship in Australia, he must have been living there for some time which means that he is probably about to lose his Canadian PR if he didn't already. To keep a Canadian PR, you must stay in Canada at least 730 days in each 5 year period.

rhetorisch

Jun 12, 2008
He got the Canadian PR only this year and in a few months time he was eligible for the Australian Citizenship. Note that he had applied for the canadian PR when he had already been a resident in Australia for a certain number of years. He now wishes to move on to Canada and fulfill the conditions of a three year residence there.

Tell me, once you notify the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy of the change in y<our citizenship, do they issue you a new PR card or do you have to apply for one?

Thanks in advance for your contribution

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The embassy will not issue a PR card, you can not even apply for a new PR card from outside Canada. He can discuss with the embassy or with the immigration officers when he arrives if it is necessary for him to get a new PR card or if it is enough for him to carry the copies of his Indian passport in case he has a problem. If they say he should get a new one, he can apply once he is in Canada. He will need new photos and $50. Processing time was around 5 months last I checked.