+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Weird(?!) Question about Self-employed Visa

redblade

Apr 8, 2010
Hi,

I have been trying to understand each possible immigration option. There is one thing about self-employed visa I cant quite figure out and I hope one of you can show me some wisdom:

Example Case:

1. A person has a registered/incorporated business for more than two years.
2. This person has been and is still working to get the business ready and product marketable; which also means the business is not yet generating any profit and the business owner has to survive on other income sources or saving.
3. The business is real because this person has been making more and more business related expenses over the two years, of course he/she has been paying business tax too for each year.

Can we say that this person IS indeed a self employed person?

I personally think 2-4 years time to prepare for a business is quite normal and as long as the business owner is paying tax, it is a serious business (and in reality some business make money, some dont for a certain time period such as the first few years, some unlucky ones tho actually end up losing money) This person is not making things up just because he/she wants to get the visa - he/she pays for expenses and taxes to run the business. He/she may just want to move the business to Canada for a better cultural, legal environment, market, etc.

I cant quite figure this out because there is clearly no minimum asset required for this type of visa(except for the applicant has to have enough fund for landing, a little less than CAD 12,000 I think) There is nowhere I can find a minimum number for the income you need to make from your business if you want to apply as a self-employed person either. Also, it doesnt say that your business can NOT lose money...

All you have to show is that you intend to start or perhaps move your business to Canada, and that you have 2 years of experience in the business, plus you have enough educational/professional background to show that you indeed may be able to make the business a success one day, and you can at last be able to support yourself then

In fact, you dont need to have experience owning any business at all!! All you need to do is to prove that you do have minimum 2 years of self-employed experience in certain fields.

This bring back the same question: Can we say that this person IS indeed a self employed person?

Does anyone know what the correct answer could be for a case like this? I really hope expert users can kindly spend a few minutes to answer my question.

I am serious asking this question; not trying to waste anyone's time here. Many thanks in advance for taking your time to answer this sort of weird question.

balkanada

May 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2013
IELTS Request
I know this is a very late reply, but since I was also in position where I was completely confused when started looking into different immigrating options, I will give my 2 cents anyway.

There IS a rule about the minimum assets you need to have to qualify for investor/self-employed visa.
For Quebec Self-employed visa you need to show that you have a NET assets of at least 100k CAD.
Link here: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/businesspeople/applying-business-immigrant/three-programs/self-employed-worker.html

Here is another link, that speaks of all three options for business investors/entrepreneurs/self employed workers: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/businesspeople/applying-business-immigrant/three-programs/index.html

There are similar programs on federal level, but they ask for more assets to qualify.

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is a very good reply and I can see that this is not useful for the original poster, but it is definitely helpful for me as I got the answer here with all the links to verify from myself.

riva21

Mar 22, 2012
Good day! I am also looking at this one because as I've read to CIC site they stop accepting investor and federal intrepreneur. Only self employed are now open for that category, I just don't understand those under self employed criteria, because its more on athletic and cultural, is this means that not all self employed or business owners can apply for this? Please read this qualifications below... Thanks :)

In order to qualify, you must first meet the definition of a self-employed person.

Self-employed person means a foreign national who has relevant experience and has the intention and ability to be self-employed in Canada and to make a significant contribution to specified economic activities in Canada.

Relevant experience in respect of:

a self-employed person, means a minimum of two years of experience, during the period beginning five years before the date of application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the day a decision is made on the application. The experience must consist of:
in respect of cultural activities:
two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in cultural activities; or
two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in cultural activities; or
a combination of a one-year period of experience described in A above, and a one-year period of experience described in B above.
in respect of athletics:
two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in athletics; or
two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in athletics; or
a combination of a one-year period of experience described in 1 above; and a one-year period of experience described in 2 above; and
in respect of the purchase and management of a farm, two one-year periods of experience in the management of a farm.
Specified economic activities, in respect of:

a self-employed person, means cultural activities, athletics or the purchase and management of a farm; and
a self-employed person selected by a province, has the meaning provided by the laws of the province.