+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to start graduat school...Can I apply for CEC?

aurora_march

Dec 10, 2009
Hi all,
I am finishing my undergrad in Toronto next year and I plan on going to graduate school. My subject of study is life science. So here are the situations:

(1) If I study in Canada, I can enter into a master of science (MSc) program and reclassify to Ph.D after 1 year of study
(2) If I study in the US, it's direct entry to Ph.D program

The programs are research-based and therefore involve full time lab work. Can I apply for CEC after 1 year of grad study? Does it make a difference if I study in the US?

Thanks! :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi aurora_march,

Assuming you spent at least 2 years at Toronto on your undergraduate degree... Maybe. Depends if it can be classified as NOC 4122
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileAlphabetic.aspx?val=4&val1=4122&val10=L

But it's unlikely that it would actually be "full time work" - most universities have a limit on how much time full-time students can perform paid work (e.g. 20 hours per week). So it would likely take longer than one year to accumulate the hours equal to 1 year.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/resources/manuals/op/op25-eng.pdf

Definition of full-time work:

“Full-time work” is defined in R87.1(3)(a) as requiring at least 37.5 hours of work per week. For the Canadian Experience Class full-time equivalence, or 1,950 hours of paid employment over a period at least of 12 months will also be considered.

The full-time work experience requirement may be met by the equivalent in part-time paid work experience, e.g. more than one part-time job held simultaneously or one or more part-time jobs held over the equivalent of one year of full-time work. Experience can be calculated by adding up the number of weeks of full-time work, i.e. 37.5 hours per week in one job or a total of at least 37.5 hours per week in more than one job, in one or more
of the NOC categories.

As for US vs. Canada, probably not much difference in terms of the degree recognition (would depend more on the advisor and program reputation within your field). In making connections for future employment, definitely - so where would you rather live?

aurora_march

Dec 10, 2009
^ Thank you so much for the detailed information.

My undergraduate program is a 4-year bachelor degree in Canada and I'm finishing the last year of study, thus it should meet the requirement for the degree. What I'm not sure about is whether research assistantship/teaching assistantship while being a graduate student can count towards the work experience requirement.. Also, does the experience have to be gained within Canada? If yes then I can't apply if I go to grad school in the states?

I will most likely reside in Canada after all my education but I prefer to pursue grad study in the states first.. However, CEC sounds like a more straight-forward and faster way to immigrate than the skill class.. I don't wish to lose the opportunity after 5-6 years of Ph.D overseas and find out I'm no longer eligible for CEC..or by then this immigration class no longer exists..

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Hi,
Yes you can - If as you say, your program will be 'full-time, research based'. I personally know a couple of students at my university here in Canada who have applied and gotten PR through CEC (Research Assistant - NOC 4122). They completed a 2 year Masters and have been in the PhD program for slightly more than 1 year. They used the 1 year PhD year as work experience under NOC 4122. However, you need to be ready to prove that your experience was full-time, paid work T4s, pay slips..). In most of the research-based graduate programs (atleast in my field-engineering), its common to find full-time paid Research Assistantiships. Your advisor (employer) would have to write a reference detailing the hours worked, pay/annum etc.

Let's also see other peoples experiences/comments

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
aurora_march said:
Also, does the experience have to be gained within Canada? If yes then I can't apply if I go to grad school in the states?
Right, the 1 year of experience has to be Canada... If you went to the US, you would not be be able to use your time as a student for CEC. That doesn't mean you would not be able to eventually apply under a different program, but it certainly would be a bit harder... Tough choice - PR vs. the "right" graduate program... I would say that if you want to live in Canada after graduate school, you should probably stay here for grad school...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
if you read the CEC program info, you will know that the answer is no. Not unless you find a way to come back (e.g. temporary work permit) and work for 2 years, then you may be eligible for CEC. CEC is not the only option, tho. There's the Federal Skilled Workers program, provincial nominees program, etc...

aurora_march

Dec 10, 2009
^ Really? I remember the requirement for the education route is (1) a recognized degree from a Canadian institute, and (2) 1 year of work experience in Canada..

What I have is a bachelor from U of T - which would satisfy (1).. If I complete grad school in the US and return to work in Canada for 1 year before I apply for immigration, would I have (2) satisfied as well?

Or does the work experience have to be earned right after getting the Canadian degree??

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi aurora_march -

I think you're right - I originally understood that the one year of work experience had to be completed within 2 years of completion of the degree, but upon re-reading, it doesn't say that. I don't see any time requirements regarding time between degree completion and the 1 year of work.

Of course, there would still the challenge of returning to work in Canada... Perhaps by the time you graduate from Graduate school, things will be easier...