+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Voltage compatability - between UAE and Canada

Maryam1979

Apr 19, 2011
Dear all,

A quick question - will electronic items ( hair straighteners, laptops..etc) that work in Dubai are of the same voltage as in Canada?
If not, can I get a voltage adapter that will make them work in Canada? Can someone tell me what the voltage adapters specifications need to be?

Many thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here in BC is using 110 Volts, while most Asian countries are using 220/230 Volts. Asian used electronic appliances, such as laptops, will probably work; but hair dryers and rice cookers probably doesn't.

More recently in Canada, it is possible to get a 220/230 Volts charger/wall outlet for electric cars.

Maryam1979

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks steaky for your quick response.
Do you know if getting a voltage adapter would work? I would imagine it is cheaper to get an adapter than buy new appliances?
Would it also work for long term use?

Thanks again

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You wouldn't need a voltage adapter for your laptop and cell phone. However, other such as printers, hair dryers and vacuums (especially too heavy to bring), I got them in Canada because it's around the same price as home country. I'm not sure if you can find adaptors for all your appliances from Dubai in Canada.

Here is a famous store in Canada and you can actually compare the price with those in Dubai from the internet:

www.bestbuy.ca

Maryam1979

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks steaky. I have an expensive appliance that I want to bring with me and it would be expensive to replace. So I think for this appliance in specific it would be worth to buy a voltage adapter? Are they easily found in Canada?

marco-cbu

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Maryam,

whatever appliances you want to bring with you to canada,just read the label in the box or the specifications stamp in the unit. most of the appliances here in UAE like TV,Laptop,Camera charger,mobile charger are 110 volts-220 which means it can be used there in Canada without using voltage adapter or regulator however you need to bring a plug adapter for the outlet since here in UAE is 3 gang. there it's 2 gang flat type.
I did my self last November during my landing.

marco-cbu

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
@maryam,
make sure the label is not written 220 volts only, it should be from 110-220 volts. which means 110 up to 220 operating voltage.

Maryam1979

Apr 19, 2011
Hi Marco,
I checked my 2 important appliances, and both are 220-240 volts :( So I need to get a voltage adapter.
I need to figure out if I better get the adapter from Dubai or Canada.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you going to be in a small town in canada, i would suggest you get it in dubai.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Maryam1979 said:
Hi Marco,
I checked my 2 important appliances, and both are 220-240 volts :( So I need to get a voltage adapter.
I need to figure out if I better get the adapter from Dubai or Canada.

Thanks
1. Note you need a transformer, and you need to know the load for the appliance so you get the right size. Also if it is electronic you have to check the cycle, as Canada is 60 Hz and a lot of 220 electronics run at 50 Hz. Also the plugs will probably have to be changed.
2. Another thing to note is that if a fire is caused by non CSA appliance from overseas, your house insurance is void.

Hedi001

Jan 24, 2020
Dear all, I am somehow in the same situation will be relocating from UAE to Canada soon and have a bunch of electronic appliance which I would not sell and buy again and suffer a financial loss unless don’t have the choice.
I have been told that most devices would work but need to make sure it’s the case as I don’t want the lost to be enormous (shipping cost + having all these appliance there without any possibility to sell them once there).
So based on what I’ve red in this threat the devices need to have 110-240 and 50-60Hz, is it correct?

On a related note, my devices would be: 3 TV sets, a sound bar, Roomba vacuum, 3M air cleaners, and other stuffs. Can you please advise?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all, I am somehow in the same situation will be relocating from UAE to Canada soon and have a bunch of electronic appliance which I would not sell and buy again and suffer a financial loss unless don’t have the choice.
I have been told that most devices would work but need to make sure it’s the case as I don’t want the lost to be enormous (shipping cost + having all these appliance there without any possibility to sell them once there).
So based on what I’ve red in this threat the devices need to have 110-240 and 50-60Hz, is it correct?

On a related note, my devices would be: 3 TV sets, a sound bar, Roomba vacuum, 3M air cleaners, and other stuffs. Can you please advise?

Thanks
If you read my comments above, you realised you can buy a step up transformer convert the voltage?