+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vistor Visa- Overstayed in USA

shivaram36963

Aug 16, 2016
Hello to All that can Help,

Grandmother overstayed in the United States while visiting her grandkids, she stayed in the states for 255 days, from Aug 2015 to Feb 2016, then went back again from Feb 2016 to May 2016, returning to Canada her in-law passed away and when trying to go for the Funeral in the States at the end of May 2016, the Immigration Officer stamped her for overstay, barred from the States for 1-3 years.

I can't afford hiring an Immigration Attorney right off the bat, What department can I contact to address this issue directly without going to a lawyer ?
What office can aid me in dealing with a deportation/withdrawal incident such as this ?

If not, any recommendations on a good free consultation with a Immigration Lawyer ?

Thanks For Your Time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need to post your question on a US immigration forum and most likely hire a US immigration lawyer to assist you. This isn't the sort of thing you can address with free advice.

I think it's pretty obvious why she received a ban. She spent six months in the US, then immediately returned for another three months and then immediately tried to return again. The US would have regarded this as an abuse of her visitor visa privileges (remember that visiting the US is in fact a privilege and not a right) - and this is most likely why the ban was issued.

I don't think there's any "issue" to address. It looks to me like the ban was correctly applied - the US takes a hard stance against those who abuse visa privileges and it's pretty clear that's what your grandmother did. Having said that, if you want to try to fight the ban - you'll need to look into hiring a lawyer.

She should not attempt another visit to the US until the ban has either been completed or you have managed to remove the ban.