+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visiting Canada

bwallace0009

Mar 1, 2016
Ok, I want to visit Canada with my 8 years old son because he is a huge Toronto Blue Jays fan. I recently got passports for me, my wife, and my son. I found out that I might not be able to get in because of my past criminal history. I was arrested 23 years ago for shoplifting when I was 18. I feel it is pretty obvious I am rehabilitated from that one because it was so long ago. I was a stupid kid. I was arrested dor DUI 15 years ago. I am afraid since it is two things (even with the most recent being 15 years ago) they may not let me in. Since then I have become a teacher and got married and had a child. I am not a danger of doing something like this again. Also, part of the trip is paid for with a grant from the school. I am really worried about being turned away. OH yeah, my record has been expunged in my home state. It won't show up on state background check. I am going to do the FBI background check, but assume it is clean because neither was a federal offense. Am I screwed? Is there someone in Canada I can talk to before I buy tickets and hotel? From what I read it sounds like it is to the discretion of the border guard if I get in. I don't want to spend a bunch of money and get some jerk having a bad day. Not worth the gamble. Any advice?