+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa category for a Canadian coming to the US to get married to an H1B holder.

instantv

Jul 13, 2019
I am working in the US on an H1-B with an approved I-140. I am planning to get married to a Canadian citizen. She will travel to the US for the marriage and then return back to Canada.

As a Canadian, she can travel to the US on a B2 visitor visa. Will the CBP officer at the port of entry deny her entry, if she says she is coming here for her marriage ? I know there is the spouse and fiancé visa but that seems to be only for US citizens, which I am not.

Can someone help answer this. I also have followup questions around whether a TN v/s H4 visa makes sense to come to the US in the long term for my spouse but I’ll leave that one for now. Thanks!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Canadians don't need a visa to visit the US. She can simply fly in with her passport. There is no need to volunteer information to CBP - when asked about purpose of visit, she can simply say she's visiting friends. This is the truth; she doesn't have to tell them she's planning to marry one of those friends.

Never lie to CBP, but also you shouldn't answer questions they don't ask. If they ask her directly if she's planning to get married, she should of course tell the truth.

Canadians are probably the nationality that have the easiest time with CBP.