+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Very urgent

Schmutz

May 29, 2010
I have recently landed in canada...however i intend on leavin in a few days and return to permanently settle a year later. I visited the Service Canada to process my SIN card...however the lady at the desk informed me that i could apply for it later when i arrive to settle permanently. She also told me that immigration has rules regarding the period a newcomer can stay out of the country after landing (approx 6 months or less)and if i stay out for longer i'll have to reapply ... is this true? How can i find out for sure... the website does not provide any information.

Also can i apply for my SIN card now? will i have any tax obligations if i do? will it help me in reentering canada?
Any advice would be be great help as i just have a week left!!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check this webpage for the PR Residency Obligation and how to maintain this status while outside Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EA.asp

You don't have to apply SIN card now. If you don't have any substantial assets in Canada, you don't have any tax obligations to Revenue Canada. If you don't have a PR card, you need a travel document (applied in the embassy) to reentering Canada.