Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi all.

Anyone has some 'realtime' info on "Short Stay Accommodations" in Vancouver. I'm looking for a 'budget' place for, [say] 1 month's stay before house hunting... Family of 2+2.

Have searched online, visited many sites, all look to be prefect, but r they? Anyone knows anyone having used any; and returned "satisfied"?

Many Thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thanx Alice,

I'll definitely have a look see. R u from Vancouver?
Did u or anyone known to to u have used them? Just for reassurance...

Warm regards,
qorax.

alice_chained

Star Member
Jan 20, 2009
No man i'm not from vancouver, i'm planning or actually will settle down in vancouver, going there this April. I was living in Halifax, NS for about 5 years before moving to Dubai.

But my brother lives in Seattle, which is 2 hours away from Vancouver, he advised this hotel. You can check expedia.com. They are others which are in similar price ranges, Ramada Inn like 60 CDn per night, this one seems to be the cheapest.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Thanx once again Alice,

I have netsurfed the 'Budget Inn', seems to be perfect. As advised, shall check-out the Ramada too today.

Anymore info do u have on house hunting, good & competitively priced family localities etc.? I'll be moving there next month, probably take either the Budget Inn or Ramada; and then have to start my house hunting.

Appreciated...

Stan.
Dubai, UAE.

alice_chained

Star Member
Jan 20, 2009
Dear Qorax.

One positive thing is that rents don't fluctuate like they do in the UAE. like one year a one bd will be 65,000 AED the next it will be 85,000K and recession rates will be 35,000 AED for the same apartment each year. There are laws in Canada and rental comittees ensure that both rights of the tenants and landlords are satified. In short words rents are constant for years to come and are pretty standard across Canada. So this is a postive, no more bullying by an Arab real estate guy hussling you for your money. I just thought I would start with a positive.

Rule of thumb, the closer you are to downtown the more expensive it gets, if you move to Surrey and Richmond which are outskirts of vancouver then the rents are cheaper. You can check rentbc.com it gives you a full listing of all cities in the Vancouver district. But just take it as an example, you will probably find a lot more apartments and houses to rent in Vancouver while your there.

I haven't lived in Vancouver before, so i can't comment on neighbourhoods and schools etc. But I can definately give you tips because I used to live in Canada. Once you get to Vancouver, you can ask around and ppl will definately help you out advising what neighbourhoods are good with schools etc.

Just make sure that you live close by a superstore like spinneys. And make sure that your building or complex has a laundry. In Canada everyone uses a laundry, you have to wash the clothes and dry them using a dryer in the laundry. Don't hang clothes out like they do here in Dubai in the balcony, no body else does that there. If your apartment does not have a laundry then make sure that it is close to one. Very Important!. Trust me. if you don't have a car, the last thing you want is to walk like 2-3 Kms with your laundry to a laundromat, same case with the grocery.

make sure you live close by to a bus stop. Everyone uses the bus there, nothing to be ashamed about unlike dubai. Avoid using cabs they cost a lot. Use the sky train and bus.

You have to get used to walking around a lot, in Canada everyone walks a lot. You'll see once you get there. In Dubai, there is no walking culture. This is the most hardest adaptability factor, you have to do everything yourself.

Oh yeah one more thing the electric voltage is 110 there, so don't take any electric appliance there without a voltage converter that conerts from 110 to 220 V.

Once you get used to the culture you will absolutely love it, Canada is a beautiful country and Canadians are extremely nice.

Weather wise Vancouver is great hardly snows, it snows in Toronto, Montreal and Calgary and the temp goes down to -35. So i rather go to vancouver, yeah i heard it's a lot tougher but it's definately worth it to avoid all these cold cities.

Oh yeah and check this website www.welcomebc.com, very helpful and useful

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Hi Alice,

Many many thanks... that was wonderful too. I guess I'll have to do the house hunting after going there, as u advised. I'll log-on to those 2 sites & have an insight meanwhile.

All the very best dear !
Qorax.