+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US vehicle and drivers license

tenney

May 1, 2010
I moved to BC, Canada from the USA. My wife is a citizen from BC and wanted to live here again. So we have a Honda van financed from US Honda. We have it for sale as we can't afford to pay it off to import it. I have applied for PR, but currently just have a visitor visa. How long can I drive this van in Canada? We have been here for six months driving it, but have it parked now. Am I able to drive it since I have a visitor visa? It is insured and registered from the state we moved from. We also still own a home there and my license is still there. Being on a visitor visa can I even change my license here?

I need to cross the border in a couple weeks also. Would they let the van back in if I drive it across???

Hasn't been an easy move here, since I telecommute to the US and have typically supported my family. So my wife has no credit and no job in Canada and they won't even consider my income. So buying another vehicle has been a real pain. We have had to pay cash to buy a junker while our nice van has been sitting. Which sucks because we have four kids. Basically been walking everywhere :(

Thanks for the help.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5082-eng.html#s2x23

This publication states that:

"During your visit in Canada, you can temporarily import passenger and recreational vehicles, such as snowmobiles, boats and trailers, as well as outboard motors, for your personal use.

You cannot leave temporarily imported goods in Canada between visits unless they have been properly reported to the CBSA and you were issued a Form E99, CBSA Report. You must display this form on your vehicle, boat or trailer or have it easily available to prove that you imported the goods legally. Remember to watch the expiry date. If you leave goods in Canada beyond the expiry date, and they are not in accordance with CBSA regulations, they may become subject to seizure and forfeiture."

I think you can still bring it back in if you will re-enter Canada on a visitor visa. It would be different if you will re-enter as a settler/immigrant.

I have a question for you, too. Why won't they consider your income from telecommuting from US? Is it because you are in Canada as a visitor or they don't simply consider income from outside Canada? I am asking this because I am planning to land in Canada as a permanent resident within the year and my employer here in the US is allowing me to telecommute. I have the same problem with my car which is financed by SunTrust here in the US. The don't allow me to bring the car to Canada without paying it off. But we need a car in Canada because I have my family with me too. I plan to get a car loan once we get to Canada showing my telecommuting income from my US employer.

tenney

May 1, 2010
Yes it is because I am on a visitor visa. A big part of the problem is that I have no credit here either and have no SIN. We have tried everything to get a loan. Even the places that say they can give anyone a loan won't. We were told it is better to have bad credit than no credit. It is really lame I make good money and have good credit in the US.

Right now my employer still pays me as a salaried employee as a resident in the US. After a few rounds with their lawyers they decided to pay me as a contractor when I get PR status. Then I will basically be self employed here with income and shouldn't have any more issues. The problem is the 8 months or so it takes to get the PR. It is no fun, we are paying cash for a vehicle and saving more for something better or until we can get financed. The only other option is to get a cosigner. Most of my wife's family is in no position to cosign and we don't know anyone else here yet.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
We are in the same situation. I feel bad about my car here in the US. It's barely a year old and we bought it brand new. The mileage is still very low as we don't use it much. I tried to find a financing company that would re-finance and allow me to bring it to Canada but there's none, not even a Canadian bank like TD Bank. I must admit I did not do my research before deciding to buy a car. I thought I can bring it there and just continue paying here in the US.

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean, you cannot continue being a salaried employee for the US company once you get your PR status? Are there complications?

I am really glad I found someone here in this forum who's in the same situation. At least we can exchange notes. :)

Thanks, really!

tenney

May 1, 2010
Well there lawyers told them they would have to take out Canadian income taxes and deal with all that if I were to stay a salaried employee. Which is an added expense for them when they only have one employee in Canada. It sucks because I lose my benefits like matched 401k. Thankfully I have a good employer who is going to add 20k to my old salary to make up for the lost benefits ;D.

Also be prepare for sticker shock here. I really miss the US and we are living on the border just to avoid paying so much for everything. I think cost of living is at least triple here in BC compared to the midwest where we came from.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
That's nice of them! I'm sure they need you that much, and that only shows how good an employee you are ;) I did not get a 401 K so I don't have that issue, but the fact that my employer allowed me to telecommute/ work from home is an option that I was thankful for. At least, I will not have to worry about looking for employment when we move. I'm not sure if my husband will get employment quickly.

Yeah, I've read that BC has a high cost of living. Me and my family will be settling in Alberta, we live in Virginia right now, I don't think I will have so much issue about the difference in cost of living.

Thank you for giving me an idea about the Canadian income taxes that my employer has to deal with if they get put me on salaried basis. :)

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
tenney said:
Well there lawyers told them they would have to take out Canadian income taxes and deal with all that if I were to stay a salaried employee. Which is an added expense for them when they only have one employee in Canada. It sucks because I lose my benefits like matched 401k. Thankfully I have a good employer who is going to add 20k to my old salary to make up for the lost benefits ;D.

Also be prepare for sticker shock here. I really miss the US and we are living on the border just to avoid paying so much for everything. I think cost of living is at least triple here in BC compared to the midwest where we came from.
Hi tenney & BZ mom,

I am in the same situation as you guys as well and maybe get some advice about the canadian taxes that an employer needs to pay if the employee is a Canadian PR and stays in canada and commutes to the US.

I am in a situation where I can commute daily to US(Detroit) where my company is and want to stay in Windsor(Canada) thus I can save my Canadian PR. Does the above mentioned deduction of canadian taxes by employer applicable to me as well. I know there are many people commuting between Canada & US on a daily basis for work purpose, but till now no one has responded to my queries. Would appreciate if someone can help me.

Max

tenney

May 1, 2010
Well all I know is what my employer told me. Whether it is completely accurate or if it is just easier to make me a contractor I don't know 100%. They discussed it for a while with their lawyers before they let me move. My understanding is they would have to withhold canadian taxes if I was salaried. Plus being a US citizen you still must pay tax there. So I dunno it gets messy. I think in the end it was just easier for them to have me be self employed.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
Hi Max,

I fund this article. This might give you an idea:

http://www.yyconsulting.com/crossborder3

Cross border - Telecommuting

Some articles for cross border issues

Today's article:

Cross-Border Telecommuting
by Catherine Roseberry
Look Before You Leap
When contemplating cross border telecommuting, whether between countries such as Canada and the United States, or just between States or Provinces; it's important to realize there are differences in the manner with which each country collects taxes.

Under the Canadian system, taxes are based on residency not citizenship.

If you have been in Canada more than 183 days your income, no matter the source, is taxable in Canada. There are exceptions for government employees.

In the United States taxes are based upon where you perform the work and citizenship. So based on citizenship the U.S. can tax its citizens in Canada. Where you perform the work relates to tax issues on state levels.

There is a tax treaty in place between Canada and the United States which sets out the circumstances for who has claim on income taxes and who must pay the respective country.

There are provisions to prevent double taxation.
Different scenarios that may arise for cross-border telecommuters:
Q. I am a US government employee whose spouse has been transferred temporarily to Canada or is studying in Canada. I was telecommuting part-time and now to avoid traffic delays at border crossings, have been approved for full-time telecommuting. Will I have to pay Canadian income tax on my earnings?

A. Simply put - no. Under the Canada - United States Tax Treaty, government employees are not required to pay taxes to Canada. Article XIX states that "remuneration, other than a pension, paid by a Contracting State or political subdivision or local authority thereof to a citizen of that State in respect of services rendered in the discharge of functions of a governmental nature shall be taxable only in that State."

Q. My partner has been transferred to Canada for a work project or to study and my employer will allow me to continue my job in a telecommuting capacity. I will on occasion make trips to the office for meetings or other work reasons. Do I have to pay Canadian income taxes? We still maintain a residence in the United States and return on weekends and holidays.

A. As this person is not a government employee this situation is a little trickier. As Canadian taxes are based on residency, you will need to prove that you are not a resident of Canada. One key is that you will be making trips to the home office and that will reinforce that you are not a resident. Keeping a residence in the States and returning at regular intervals is also wise. There is a form you must complete that will be used by Revenue Canada to determine your residency status. The form is "Determination of Residency NR 74" that you can download and review to see what is looked for.

Q. I am a Canadian working as an independent contractor in a telecommuting capacity for an American company. All my work is done in Canada; do I have to pay the IRS?

A. No. Since the American tax system is based on where the work is performed, you would not pay any taxes in the States. Be advised though that if you ever travel to the States, even for one day for work related matters you may become liable for tax payment in the States. You do need to declare your income in Canada on your taxes, remembering to convert it to Canadian funds.

Q. I am a Canadian and living in the United States. My employer is in Canada and I can use telecommuting to keep my job. Who do I pay my taxes to?

A. Unless you intend to give up your Canadian citizenship, you will still need to pay Canadian taxes on your income. You may also have to pay state income taxes, check with the state you are in, since not all states have income taxes.

Dealing with taxes on cross-border telecommuting is not easy and can be very confusing. Before you begin any cross border telecommuting venture, find out all you can about the tax implications for your specific situation. Contact a tax professional or local tax office and explain your situation.

You want to know exactly what tax implications you may face prior to your telecommuting arrangement starting.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Hi tenney & BZ mom Thanks to both of you for your immediate response, did go through the link as well. I will also try to get more info from my attorney as I am still unclear about the various risks involved as I am in the US on H1B Visa and my GC for US is going on.

Max

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
You're welcome, Max. :) You have also been helpful in answering my issues and concerns in this forum.