+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: staying in Canada

gias

May 5, 2008
Dear All:

I have married recently. My wife is a Canadian. I have been staying in Canada on study permit that will expire on May 31, 2008. I have already applied for study permit extension for my further eduction almost 20 days ago. However, I am yet to receive any notification. Based on the recent situation, I am worried about my staying in Canada. Since we are recently married, both of us want to stay together.

I am currently an international student in Canada. I have also applied for "open work permit" about a week ago, since I have completed more than two years full study in Canada.

Based on the recent situation, it would be really helpful if I could get some answers on the following questions.

1. If both my application is refused, what should I do to live in Canada after May 31, 2008? I was looking online for temporary residence extension based on change of situation. However, it would take more than one month and I don't have that much time left.

2. Should I apply for a visitor visa now based on my situation, life going to Niagara falls and making a U-turn? However, I don't know that much about this.

Thanks a lot,
Mohammad

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
Here is one option. You are married to a canadian. Your spouse can sponsor you for permanent residency and you can remain in Canada while the application is being processed. However, you will not be permitted to work legally until late in the process which could take over one year. I'm not sure about retaining your current extension while applying for permanent residency.

Best wishes..

RGV