+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Need advice

Stan_lee

Jan 18, 2019
Hi,

I am on H1B visa in US applying for Express Entry. My CRS score comes out to be 475, which is good to go ahead with at this time.
I have a situation - my marriage is scheduled in the end of this year, and my spouse is an Indian citizen working in India. We both want to settle in Canada. I have two options:

1) Apply for Express entry as single applicant (I expect to get ITA soon with this CRS score). I can then sponsor my spouse after my marriage as a Canadian PR. What is the processing time for the spouse sponsorship? Also will my spouse be able to stay and work in Canada during the processing period?

2) Apply for Express Entry as a married couple later this year (my spouse will have to sit for IELTS). I think this will be faster as both of us get PR at the same time. But my CRS score drops down to around 455 if I calculate as a married couple with me as primary applicant.

What do you think is the best approach to go forward? Please give your valuable suggestions.

Thanks!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
From what I have read, the sponsorship process takes 6 months to a year and your wife won't be able to join you in Canada unless she has another Visa (like visitor visa). Visitor visa may be difficult to obtain while sponsorship is in progress, but it can be done before marriage/sponsorship.

If you apply after marriage, that will also take up to 6 months.