+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent!! H1B stamp has expired/ need to do soft landing/ COPR extension?

rohyt04

Mar 22, 2022
Hello All,

My permanent residency application got approved last month and I sent out my passport to get the COPR & the one time visa stamp. I received a letter last week in my IRCC account mentioning that the validity of IMM 1346 and IMM 5688 is just one month.

Is one month validity normal for COPR?

I am working in the States on H1B and my visa stamp has expired but I have a valid I797 approval. I have no plans of traveling to India to get my visa stamped because of visa date availability. I read couple of posts about AVR and I was wondering would it be safe to travel to Canada to do the safe landing and come back to States using AVR. Will I face any issues while coming back?

Also, is it possible to get an extension on COPR? would redoing my medicals grant me an extension?

Appreciate all the help

Thanks

raklukr

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
Hello All,

My permanent residency application got approved last month and I sent out my passport to get the COPR & the one time visa stamp. I received a letter last week in my IRCC account mentioning that the validity of IMM 1346 and IMM 5688 is just one month.

I am working in the States on H1B and my visa stamp has expired but I have a valid I797 approval. I have no plans of traveling to India to get my visa stamped because of visa date availability. I read couple of posts about AVR and I was wondering would it be safe to travel to Canada to do the safe landing and come back to States using AVR. Will I face any issues while coming back?

Also, is it possible to get an extension on COPR? would redoing my medicals grant me an extension?

Appreciate all the help

Thanks
it's upto the Canadian immigration official at the port of entry to decide whether to allow you to do a soft landing. COPRs in general can't be extended, surprising that they only gave you 1 month of validity. The validity of the COPR depends on when your medical expires or passport expires, whichever comes first.

Reactions: rohyt04

zennia25

May 22, 2022
Hello All,

Appreciate all the help

Thanks

Assuming that you might have already made the decision regarding this question. Would you be able to share your experience please? I am going through some similar situation.

Did you do soft landing? How did it go?

Thanks
Zennia

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello All,

Appreciate all the help

Thanks
I would suggest, unless you have any pending applications with USCIS better to plan for softlanding and return US using AVR. Extension of COPR's is a pain and theres no specific time when would they get approved.

AVR is not a risk as long as you carry all the supporting docs with you. Lot many people have been using AVR since pandemic.

rohyt04

Mar 22, 2022
Assuming that you might have already made the decision regarding this question. Would you be able to share your experience please? I am going through some similar situation.

Did you do soft landing? How did it go?

Thanks
Zennia
Yes, I did complete my soft landing. It was pretty smooth. While coming back, I was able to do the AVR without any issues. The border patrol officer's are well aware of the AVR.

Just make sure to carry all your H1B supporting documents and it should be fine.

Sandy_CA

Aug 15, 2022
Yes, I did complete my soft landing. It was pretty smooth. While coming back, I was able to do the AVR without any issues. The border patrol officer's are well aware of the AVR.

Just make sure to carry all your H1B supporting documents and it should be fine.
Hello - I am sailing in the same boat and planning to travel this week. Please suggest which border did you use? Land/Air travel?
I am planning to use Peace Bridge(Buffalo).

I have heard instances of people facing issues with AVR at Newark Airport.

Many Thanks in advance!

Sandy_CA

Aug 15, 2022
Thanks for all the information received from this group. We were able to complete PR Landing Process and returned using AVR. Used Peace Bridge for return. It was smooth.