+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

unpaid student loan

wingnut

Nov 17, 2008
Hi everyone,

I want to sponsor my german husband to canada.

In the application form it says: Are you late in making a required payment on an immigration loan, a performance bond or any other amounts you agreed to pay under canadian immigration legislation, and have not made arrangements to defer payments??

does this include an unpaid student loan. is a student loan a performance bond??? i never paid back a portion of my federal student loan. It is statue barred for years.... would this unpaid loan effect my ability to sponsor my husband???

Thank you.

Wingnut

wingnut

Nov 17, 2008
Thanks for writting, DutchMan.
Where do you know this from?? I want to be 100% sure, before I send off my application.
Thanks.

Wingnut.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A student loan is not a performance bond.

From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900E2.asp under "Who can not sponsor":

Default of a performance bond means you have not paid the sum of money that became payable to the Canadian government following a promise you made to pay this sum if the person specified in the performance bond that you signed or co-signed did not comply with the conditions imposed on him or her by immigration authorities.

wingnut

Nov 17, 2008
Thank you Leon.

one more question: do I, as the sponsor, need a german police check, since i have been living here for a number of years??

Wingut.

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Hee hee, cute questions :)

I sponsored my husband and I had lots of outstanding Canada Student Loans. It's no problem.

The sponsor is not required to have any police/background checks done.

If you are a sponsor living exclusively outside Canada and submitting the application from outside Canada, you'll have to prove that you have intention to settle in Canada upon the completion of the application.

wingnut

Nov 17, 2008
thank you. good to know. did you have to prove your intention to move back to canada?? have any good ideas??
wingnut.

M

med

yes ofcourse if you are living outside canada u need give them some proof that u wanna get back to canada and establish there its ver mundatory in the application .

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Yes, you need to prove you are settling in Canada at the time that your spouse becomes a Permanent Resident. The guide to sponsorship will show you what you need- it's on page 7.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf

wingnut

Nov 17, 2008
yes, i fully understand the fact!!!! But like Analon already wrote I find it difficult to prove. I want to move back to Canada together with my husband and our children AT THE SAME TIME:

This is what Analon wrote and I feel the same way!!!

- Buy house (this is like buying a non-refundable airline ticket before being issued a visa to fly)
- Rent apartment (with no known date for approval, how to begin a rental lease?)
- Job Offer (with no known date for approval, how to begin a job? Must be some super employers who keep job offers open indefinately!!!)
- Application to University (yet again, with no known date for approval how to apply to a University. Also neither, my wife or myself need another degree)

As soon as my husband gets his papers, we will settle everyhing here and move. As soon as possible!!

Well, I will have to do more reading for some ideas......

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have friends or family in Canada, they could maybe arrange some of this. They could write a letter of support saying that they know of your plans to move and offer you to stay at their house until you find a place to live. Maybe somebody in the group of friends and family is running and business and can extend you a job offer, saying you can work there once you moved if you want. It may not be exactly what CIC is asking for but it's better than nothing.