+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unable to decide

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Hi,
Our US visa is expiring shortly and we have still not received I140 as well. But we have Canadian PR ( valid for 3 more years) and our baby was born in US and we have still not sponsored him PR.

My company is most probably not going to allow remote work from Canada due to some reasons. But they are willing to transfer to UK.

So I’m confused whether to migrate to Canada or UK? I feel we worked so hard to get Canada PR and don’t want to lose the opportunity. But worried about getting IT jobs due to tough competition from young folks and high taxes.

And on the other hand for UK we need not worry anything about job as employer is going to take care of everything and some good perks like housing and other stuff.
But need to stay there for more than 5 years to get permanent residency in UK.

So which one do you feel is the best option?
If you were in my shoes which one do you prefer?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Our US visa is expiring shortly and we have still not received I140 as well. But we have Canadian PR ( valid for 3 more years) and our baby was born in US and we have still not sponsored him PR.

My company is most probably not going to allow remote work from Canada due to some reasons. But they are willing to transfer to UK.

So I’m confused whether to migrate to Canada or UK? I feel we worked so hard to get Canada PR and don’t want to lose the opportunity. But worried about getting IT jobs due to tough competition from young folks and high taxes.

And on the other hand for UK we need not worry anything about job as employer is going to take care of everything and some good perks like housing and other stuff.

Very personal decision. There is demand for IT workers. If you are getting free housing in the UK then that would be a huge benefit.

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Very personal decision. There is demand for IT workers. If you are getting free housing in the UK then that would be a huge benefit.
Thank you for responding. Yes I know it’s a personal decision. But I’m unable to decide!

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Hi,

If I were you, I would select UK without a second thought. Ive lived in Manchester for about 3 years and Ive lived in the US for about 9 years now. The life in UK, I miss it so much. Here are a few things for you:
1. UK has good IT companies. I know you cant compare to USA, but its no less. Many large banking corporations have UK as their IT hub.
2. Lovely weather, absolutely amazing. I still have nostalgia of that fresh manchester air, when I had landed there. Didnt find it in the USA.
3. Closer to India (assuming you are an Indian). You dont end of spending 24 hours traveling end to end. smaller, much comfortable journey for you and your indian family to UK.
4. Free schooling and public funded healthcare.
5. Opens Europe to you - which is a big plus.
6. You said your employer is sending you there - so you dont need to worry since you have a job the moment you land. As your priority date gets closer, you could anyways come back to USA. If your employer spent money on your US GC, they would surely want to use your services then.

What will you get in Canada:
1. No job - search, compete, and then get something
2. Harsh weather - you got to live with it - and Ive seen people leave canada, just because of the weather.
3. Extreme corner of the world - travel to india is long and tiring.
4. Free education to kids - as in UK
5. Govt funded healthcare - as in UK (my personal take is the UK healthcare system is better than Canada).
6. Fresh clean air, nice people - you would find plenty in UK.
I can say - If I were you - I would have picked UK and probably - I and my kids would love that life so much - I might not end up returning to USA later. Your son, who is a US citizen, would anyways come back to USA if he wanted to and decided so after he turned 18.
Disclaimer: These are my personal choices. I am not pushing you to make this choice. I just want to say - you are blessed as you got this option. Rest is all your decision. And I have a Canada PR too. I would probably have to move there if situations demand - since I do not have the UK option.

Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

Seems that most were covered in above posts.

I would like to cover on below points: Ask yourself on below questions too before deciding:
For UK: Can you survive for 5 years to get residency? Do you have points to get residency after 5 years and would the rule still stay in place?
Are you planning to retire in UK?

For Canada: Can you survive to get some job and manage for the first 1-2 years and move up? Not an easy one to move without a job and survive the first year, unless one is determined and have enough savings to pull through.
Only country closer to US and visa free country if your son settles/works/studies in US.
Are you wanting to stay close to US or settle in Canada when you retire?

The mistakes i or many did: Not planning for long term. We all end up choosing for short term and miss very very big and heavily on long term and face consequences for long term which is more damaging and stressful than short term pressures. After the short term period of 5-10 years over then we realize that its already late to move/plan for the end goal or long term goals as age/job/settled factors come in to alter anything more beyond certain point.
I realize now that i should have stuck to long term goals rather than worrying about short term problems. Short terms are painful only for few years but long term miss is more painful as its there in mind for lifetime.

If you going to retire in your home country then you should choose safe option of UK to earn as much as you can with the job.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
The mistakes i or many did: Not planning for long term. We all end up choosing for short term and miss very very big and heavily on long term and face consequences for long term which is more damaging and stressful than short term pressures. After the short term period of 5-10 years over then we realize that its already late to move/plan for the end goal or long term goals as age/job/settled factors come in to alter anything more beyond certain point.
I realize now that i should have stuck to long term goals rather than worrying about short term problems. Short terms are painful only for few years but long term miss is more painful as its there in mind for lifetime.

If you going to retire in your home country then you should choose safe option of UK to earn as much as you can with the job.
When you say short-term, what does that mean? Like moving to Canada for short-time(3 years)? or not happened to move earlier ? I didn't get that point.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
When you say short-term, what does that mean? Like moving to Canada for short-time(3 years)? or not happened to move earlier ? I didn't get that point.
Yes for the classic example in Indian born in US: Not deciding earlier to move when we are easily eligible for migrating to possible country before immigration rules get more tough(or loose points due age - trying at 35+) even when priority date is far/impossible.
Its not about number of years, many of us, including myself didnt start on gc itself when i first came or didnt try for canada when i first came to this continent. Because i had no long term plan and later my short term plans were in focus and trying to be in job, saving money etc which became ultimately the long term goal(the short term actions prolonged for long time) and later realized that things are not materializing in US and no prospects/use of just working and spending time like this(and later started to realize that i cant even get my social security when i go back to India). So we/one should focus only on long term and take pain for short term and work towards long term goals which will give lot of peace of mind after 40z instead of pushing ourselves at 40z for the things missed previously.

Its my experience hence others might have different view on dealing with things.

Reactions: swan0206