+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. Outlander: Buying a car to bring into Canada

dc8800

Feb 2, 2011
I'm reposting to this forum since this is probably a more appropriate place to do so...

I've searched the forum and have not gotten much clarity on this. I still have the following questions that need some help with...

1. Is there a time limit for me to buy and use a car in the U.S. before I can bring it in as goods to follow without being taxed (I've heard it's 6 months, but I'm not sure if that only applies to Canadian citizens only, but not to landing immigrants).
2. Related to that, is it better to transport it (and also have the car titled) under the returning Canadian (my wife, who hasn't lived in Canada since she was 2), or under my name (the PR).
3. And in my specific case, I will enter the country first under a TWP and apply for outlander Family Class Sponsorship PR before I enter the country (dual intent). Would that throw a wrench into the process? I haven't even submitted my PR application yet.

If someone can provide some personal experience as well as official documentation on this, that'd be very helpful. I'm quoting heatherusa here, who wrote this in another thread:

heatherusa said:
As a returning Canadian I had a 10k exemption amount which meant that anything over 10k I had to pay duty on, but because I had been gone for more than 12 months, I could bring anything, even if I had just bought it, provided I had opened it and "used" it.

For pr I dont believe there is an exemption amount (if my car had been worth more than 10k the border agent was going to let me wait to have my husband import it) but it has to have been purchased 6 months or more... (I think that is correct)"
I assume her info is accurate as it is from her personal experience, but I'd like some documentation to be sure. At least one thing is similar with her case, which is that we are also moving to Alberta (Calgary). Please advise. Thanks in advance!

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
There is no tax on settler's effects. You have to have owned and used the goods prior to setting up residence in Canada (definition of "setting up residence" is not totally clear). You would still have to pay the RIV fee to bring the car in and associated inspection, titling, registration, insurance costs, etc.

dc8800

Feb 2, 2011
links18 said:
There is no tax on settler's effects. You have to have owned and used the goods prior to setting up residence in Canada (definition of "setting up residence" is not totally clear). You would still have to pay the RIV fee to bring the car in and associated inspection, titling, registration, insurance costs, etc.
Thanks link18.

So let me double check just to be sure. By "no tax on settler's effects," then technically speaking there's no limit to how many cars I bring up (no...I'm not bringing a bunch; I'm only thinking of two).

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
There is no limit I am aware of. As long as they are for personal use, owned and used prior to "setting up residence" in Canada. You can also bring an airplane with you if you want.......

bli

Jun 12, 2010
i have similar situation. i bought a new car in US in April 2011 and i am going to land to Canada/Ontario as a PR in coming August. i will ship the car up as a "Goods to Follow". I read the CSBA/RIV sites and understand that there is no duty for me to import the car, BUT will I be charged any HST/GST/PST when registering the car in Ontario Transportation? I cannot find any official wordings regarding this.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
bli, The cost to register the vehicle in Ontario is $125. You will also have to have inspections that cost about $40 and $90 and any modifications (day time running lights etc) needed to pass the inspections. Some of these costs include tax and some are tax exempt if you imported it as part of landing.

It is the cost of insuring the car in Ontario that you're going to have to worry about!

bli

Jun 12, 2010
Thank you for the quick response Allison. Since I will only own the new car for only 4 months when I land in Canada, will I be charged any HST/GST/PST on the current value of my car ($40k - Honda Odyssey) when registering with Ontario Transportation?

I am expecting NO based on reading from this forum, but i can never find it written black and white in any government site (in case i can use it as a proof when talking to the people in Ontario Transportation)

bli

Jun 12, 2010
Appreciate if anyone can provide any input of my last posting ... I will only own my new car for 4 months when I land in Canada later this summer, will I be charged any HST/GST/PST on the value of my car (~$40000 - Honda Odyssey) when registering with Ontario Transportation?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should be contacting to CBSA with regards to bringing anything (other than vehicle) to Canada as a settler. For car, you should be checking this website: www.riv.ca

yrkandel

Jun 23, 2010
bli said:
Appreciate if anyone can provide any input of my last posting ... I will only own my new car for 4 months when I land in Canada later this summer, will I be charged any HST/GST/PST on the value of my car (~$40000 - Honda Odyssey) when registering with Ontario Transportation?
Hello

Did you have any problem to import a new car bought less than 6 months. I also have a new toyota camry bought recently. I am planning to take this to Canada from USA. I am wondering if I need to pay tax. I am going for the first time to complete the process of my landing. Please share your experience.
Thank you