+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. Citizen Undergraduate Looking for Work in Vancouver

Nov 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I am a U.S. citizen and finishing up my final year of undergraduate studies at Emory University, a top 25 institution in the U.S. Upon graduation, I would like to gain some work experience before embarking upon my Masters degree. I am being very ambitious: alongside applying to places in the U.S., I am looking specifically at being able to work in British Columbia. I have searched tirelessly through websites such as Indeed and LinkedIn, but most Canadian employers want someone who has a valid work permit. What is a good resource to search for jobs with companies who will sponsor my working visa? Thank you!

PS: Looking for jobs related to healthcare and business! I.e. administrative, non-profit, public health, health promotion/marketing...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a U.S. citizen and finishing up my final year of undergraduate studies at Emory University, a top 25 institution in the U.S. Upon graduation, I would like to gain some work experience before embarking upon my Masters degree. I am being very ambitious: alongside applying to places in the U.S., I am looking specifically at being able to work in British Columbia. I have searched tirelessly through websites such as Indeed and LinkedIn, but most Canadian employers want someone who has a valid work permit. What is a good resource to search for jobs with companies who will sponsor my working visa? Thank you!

PS: Looking for jobs related to healthcare and business! I.e. administrative, non-profit, public health, health promotion/marketing...
From what you've said, you do not poses the necessary education/experience to qualify under NAFTA. In order to hire you, an employer requires a positive LMIA; this shows that they couldn't find a Canadian citizen/PR to do the job. The LMIA process costs the employer $1000 (non-refundable even if refused), has very strict requirements and takes months to process. It is extremely difficult to find an employer willing to do this.

Reactions: kavita_athalye
Nov 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
From what you've said, you do not poses the necessary education/experience to qualify under NAFTA. In order to hire you, an employer requires a positive LMIA; this shows that they couldn't find a Canadian citizen/PR to do the job. The LMIA process costs the employer $1000 (non-refundable even if refused), has very strict requirements and takes months to process. It is extremely difficult to find an employer willing to do this.
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. May I ask if this is the same situation that would be faced by my friends who are studying at universities in Vancouver? They are not Canadian citizens, but will be graduating soon, too. I know I sound very naive, but how do people who want "a new start, a new chance" end up in different countries and craft a name for themselves? I am very keen on Vancouver... if anything I guess Seattle would be more attainable and closer to Vancouver as well.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. May I ask if this is the same situation that would be faced by my friends who are studying at universities in Vancouver? They are not Canadian citizens, but will be graduating soon, too. I know I sound very naive, but how do people who want "a new start, a new chance" end up in different countries and craft a name for themselves? I am very keen on Vancouver... if anything I guess Seattle would be more attainable and closer to Vancouver as well.
No, not the same situation. Your friends will be granted Post Graduate Work Permits after finishing their studies.

There is the SWAP program for Americans, though I have not looked at it for quite some time and don't recall the specifics. You could see if you qualify for that.

Reactions: kavita_athalye

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
Kavita,
Your best option is work in US for a year or two and then apply for express entry... If you want to set foot in Canada for a longer period.