+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two masters degree (one year each) - Planning for post graduation work permit

faisal_ahmed

Oct 4, 2010
Hello everyone,
I am International student of Mcmaster University. I have completed my one year masters (M.Eng) on Electrical and Computer Engineering and currently pursuing my second masters degree on Engineering and Public policy which is also one year in duration.

Upon completion of my current degree, I am thinking of gaining some work experience in Canada under the post graduation work permit. As I will have two masters degree each being one year in duration, will the CIC count my study length as two years or just the duration one my degree completed last which will be one year? I want to know this so that I can estimate a possible duration of my further stay in Canada. Because as I am concerned, two years degree level education may get you a three years work permit. But I am not sure whether they accept two different degrees for that maximum work permit.

Well, a friend of mine, who is from India, is also in some similar situation. Difference is that, after completing his one year masters in electrical engineering with me in Mcmaster, he got enrolled in Memorial University for doing Master of Engineering Management, a one year long course. As his two masters degree are from two different institutions, will his case be considered different than mine while issuing post graduation work permit?

Both of us would be really grateful if anyone can explain our situations. Thank you. :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
See the OP 12, p. 28-29, esp. bottom of p. 29. This may help. I have no first-hand experience, tho - you might want to ask this in the international students forum.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op12-eng.pdf

faisal_ahmed

Oct 4, 2010
Thanks Jes_On !!! :D :D :D
That answers my question and I think I can show both my degrees together and expect a three years work permit. :) :)

Thanks that you found a specific document that shows this exceptional example. I have been trying for a long time to find a document from CIC website that tells specifically about my case but didn't find any. Now I have one to follow! :) :)

I will post the question again in the International Student section to find out whether anyone else have faced similar situation.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
jes_ON said:
See the OP 12, p. 28-29, esp. bottom of p. 29. This may help. I have no first-hand experience, tho - you might want to ask this in the international students forum.
Jes I have seen your comments have been efficient through out the forum. I have something to ask

I have to apply for a post graduate work permit from buffalo. I have completed my masters from toronto in one and half year. Do you have any idea for how long buffalo office give me post grad work permit. I heard if you apply to buffalo they usually give a 3 year PGW permit regardless of the length of the program.
And also i have to renew my TRV as it expires in about 3 months. Do they still provide same day service ?? If not do you know how long do they take? Is it better for me to get a US visa and apply from buffalo office in person. or if i dont get the US visa can i mail them my passport and apply my PGWP from buffalo as i have heard that you get a 3 year Post grad work permit even if your length of program is about a year or so ..

Any comments on this matter would be appreciated
Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ALM123 said:
I have to apply for a post graduate work permit from buffalo. I have completed my masters from toronto in one and half year. Do you have any idea for how long buffalo office give me post grad work permit. I heard if you apply to buffalo they usually give a 3 year PGW permit regardless of the length of the program.
And also i have to renew my TRV as it expires in about 3 months. Do they still provide same day service ?? If not do you know how long do they take? Is it better for me to get a US visa and apply from buffalo office in person. or if i dont get the US visa can i mail them my passport and apply my PGWP from buffalo as i have heard that you get a 3 year Post grad work permit even if your length of program is about a year or so ..
Hi alm123, thanks for the kind words, but unfortunately I have no personal experience with PGWPs or TRVs. PGWPs are supposed to be based on the length of your study, so I doubt that Buffalo gives a 3 year PGWP for anything less than 2 years...Some in this CEC forum may be able to answer, but this question is more appropriate for the international students forum than CEC.

Official info for CIC Buffalo...
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/visas/index.aspx

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
jes_ON said:
Hi alm123, thanks for the kind words, but unfortunately I have no personal experience with PGWPs or TRVs. PGWPs are supposed to be based on the length of your study, so I doubt that Buffalo gives a 3 year PGWP for anything less than 2 years...Some in this CEC forum may be able to answer, but this question is more appropriate for the international students forum than CEC.

Official info for CIC Buffalo...
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/visas/index.aspx

Thanks jes
I am doing my masters right now. and will be done with my required courses in dec 2011 but then my length of program will be 16 months. Do you think it is a wise decision to take an extra semester and increase my length of program to 20 months which means 2 academic years and get a 3 year Post graduate work permit. I also got a job which I already saw your different comments that it does not count towards CEC.
As I will be done with my Masters whether in Dec 2011 or in May 2012(If i take an extra term and spend alot of money for it) Or do you think i should graduate in Dec 2011 and apply for PNP Ontario straight away. I am not sure about the PNP program whether they accept all the applicants easily and also they have a cap of 1000 nominations So i am worried what if I dont get approved in the PNP program

Any advice would be appreciated