+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to USA

passportwait

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
I moved to Windsor 2 months back and have been working remote for my US employer. I am planning to visit my friends and also at the same time get a new work laptop ( have to get it due to annual refresh cycle) in December.

My question is that my work location is in Arizona. Can I drive from Windsor to Detroit and catch a flight from there? Or should I drive to Toronto and catch a direct flight to Arizona from there. The reason I ask is , it will be much cheaper for me to drive 20 minutes and catch a flight from Detroit.

I am just worried, if officers would ask me more questions why entering in Michigan when my work location is Arizona. Also I have imported my car in Canada if that matters.

Please advise.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
1. I moved to Windsor 2 months back and have been working remote for my US employer. I am planning to visit my friends and also at the same time get a new work laptop ( have to get it due to annual refresh cycle) in December.

2. My question is that my work location is in Arizona. Can I drive from Windsor to Detroit and catch a flight from there? Or should I drive to Toronto and catch a direct flight to Arizona from there. The reason I ask is , it will be much cheaper for me to drive 20 minutes and catch a flight from Detroit.

3. I am just worried, if officers would ask me more questions why entering in Michigan when my work location is Arizona. Also I have imported my car in Canada if that matters.

Please advise.
1. I dont know if we have any border restriction on tourism travel(visiting friends). I am not clear on it hence check on it or tell that you are going to work as you have some work anyway.
No issues for work purpose.
2. It should be fine as you are going for work by flight. Have the flight booking printout ready. Give it only when asked(do not volunteer for any information unless asked).
3. Have your completed the registration of the car in Windsor? if so then have the Canadian plate fixed and you should be good. They dont track based on VIN, i think that they track based on number plate hence system will show as a new car on the commute traffic.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I moved to Windsor 2 months back and have been working remote for my US employer. I am planning to visit my friends and also at the same time get a new work laptop ( have to get it due to annual refresh cycle) in December.

My question is that my work location is in Arizona. Can I drive from Windsor to Detroit and catch a flight from there? Or should I drive to Toronto and catch a direct flight to Arizona from there. The reason I ask is , it will be much cheaper for me to drive 20 minutes and catch a flight from Detroit.

I am just worried, if officers would ask me more questions why entering in Michigan when my work location is Arizona. Also I have imported my car in Canada if that matters.

Please advise.
Hi, did you happen to cross the border? How was your experience? Thanks.