+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling outside of Canada with PR Counterfoil

elisun

May 11, 2018
Hi there,

Some context before my question:

So I received my PPR a little while ago and of course I mailed my passport to Ottawa. I received a notification today that my application was approved and some information on Counterfoil. I believe this means that my passport is now stamped with a PR Visa (which says it expires on October 27, 2020) and now I have to wait for a CoPR to be mailed to me, correct?

I currently live in Vancouver, Canada and have a Work Permit and Work Visa valid until June 2020.

I researched and read that the PR Visa Stamp is only valid for ONE entry to Canada, and the PR Card can take up to 2 months to arrive after entering Canada, which means travelling outside of Canada is not recommended during this 2 month period.

Here's my question:

I have TWO flights planned for the US. One is at the end of February - early May and the other in mid April. I 100% have to go to these trips since they're work trips and a big responsibility.

Since I have just ONE entry to Canada with my PR Visa, would it be safer/accepted to use my still valid Work Visa to enter the first time (late Feb-early March) and use my PR Visa to enter on the second time (mid April), even if I have to wait until April to start the process to receive my PR Card?

Do you have another recommendation on how to tackle this?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can try, but since they've affixed the counterfoil, it is possible that your other visas were cancelled.

If you linked your previous applications to your GCKey account, see if their document status is still "valid."

elisun

May 11, 2018
Hmmm, it says the status is currently unavailable so it is possible that my Work Visa is cancelled. :(

I know I could get a Travel Document while I’m outside of Canada, but my travels are fairly short and I’m not sure I can get it on time before travelling back to Canada (processing times are uncertain).

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You may not get a PRTD in time, unfortunately.

See if you can reschedule your flights to Seattle or Bellingham? Then get to the border and walk across. You can do that with a passport and COPR.

elisun

May 11, 2018
That could definitely be an option! I would just have to rebook my second flight back, correct?

With the first flight I can technically enter with my PR Visa and start the process of getting my PR Card, and for the second one walk in with the CoPR and passport, correct?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Actually, as far as I understand, that would work.

Just remember you couldn't take a Boltbus from Seattle as the commercial operator wouldn't let you on the bus to Canada. You'd have to have your partner pick you up or you'd need to hike to the Peace Arch Crossing :p