+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel with Expired CoPR to peace bridge

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Hello All,
Can someone guide me on travel with the expired CoPR?
My wife and I both received the CoPR before March 2020 and I was able to complete the soft landing before CoPR expired date last year but my wife was not able to complete the soft landing before the expiry date of Aug 2020. I have listed my wife as a dependent in the PR application. So in order to move to Canada, can she travel to the peace bridge with the expired CoPR now? I checked the IRCC website and it says that IRCC would contact for further instructions for people with expired CoPR. We have not received any email from IRCC yet. do we have to wait to receive an email from IRCC in order to validate the expired CoPR at the CBSA? Can you please guide me? Are there any contact numbers or emails to contact IRCC apart from we form? Can you please share ?

Reactions: Shackle

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,
Can someone guide me on travel with the expired CoPR?
My wife and I both received the CoPR before March 2020 and I was able to complete the soft landing before CoPR expired date last year but my wife was not able to complete the soft landing before the expiry date of Aug 2020. I have listed my wife as a dependent in the PR application. So in order to move to Canada, can she travel to the peace bridge with the expired CoPR now? I checked the IRCC website and it says that IRCC would contact for further instructions for people with expired CoPR. We have not received any email from IRCC yet. do we have to wait to receive an email from IRCC in order to validate the expired CoPR at the CBSA? Can you please guide me? Are there any contact numbers or emails to contact IRCC apart from we form? Can you please share ?
You need to request a new COPR via webform. You will be asked to show that you are permanently relocating to Canada. The fact that you landed but your wife did not may be an issue but it is impossible to predict. IRCC could either give your wife an extension or ask you to sponsor her.

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
You need to request a new COPR via webform. You will be asked to show that you are permanently relocating to Canada. The fact that you landed but your wife did not may be an issue but it is impossible to predict. IRCC could either give your wife an extension or ask you to sponsor her.
Appreciate your response. If I have to sponsor, can you tell me what needs to be done ? Do I have to resubmit the entire application? I raised the request through the webform but the response from IRCC is not clear. I got the email to check the link which says that IRCC will contact for expired CoPR for further instructions to proceed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Appreciate your response. If I have to sponsor, can you tell me what needs to be done ? Do I have to resubmit the entire application? I raised the request through the webform but the response from IRCC is not clear. I got the email to check the link which says that IRCC will contact for expired CoPR for further instructions to proceed.
If you have to sponsor you'd need to be in Canada. You should try to get an extension but your situation is not as straight forward as others who had received COPR after March 2020 and the whole family hasn't landed. IRCC is more flexible than usual due to covid but you can't extend COPR forever and she may need to re do her medical.

Reactions: sam 1234

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
If you have to sponsor you'd need to be in Canada. You should try to get an extension but your situation is not as straight forward as others who had received COPR after March 2020 and the whole family hasn't landed. IRCC is more flexible than usual due to covid but you can't extend COPR forever and she may need to re do her medical.
Thanks so much for your response. I raised the request through webform for CoPR extension. Is there any other way apart from this ? Just wanted to make sure that I am not missing anything.