+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENTS

Connie77

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
Hello,

We have quite a few documents in Italian that need to be translated to English. Could I do the translation myself and have them certified by a notary public at the Town Hall or even a lawyer where we live in Italy? Or is there another way we have to go about translating these documents? They sure dont make it easy for us, do they?

Thanks Again Everyone!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
CIC doesn't want you to do the translations yourself. For official documents, get a certified translator to do them. Ideally, a certified translator would do all documents, but because of the expense people usually get secondary relationship evidence (such as emails) translated informally. CIC doesn't want family members doing the translation either, though. A friend could do it, or a student. Get them to also include an affidavit stating that the translation is a true version of the original.

Connie77

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
OH NO!! I have so many documents this is going to cost a fortune. I know a lady that lives in my town, she is from England, can she do the translation of teh police certificate etc... and then I can have them certified by a notary public who speaks only italian? Where do i find certified translators in Italy? ahhhhhhh!!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Connie77 said:
Hello,

We have quite a few documents in Italian that need to be translated to English. Could I do the translation myself and have them certified by a notary public at the Town Hall or even a lawyer where we live in Italy? Or is there another way we have to go about translating these documents? They sure dont make it easy for us, do they?

Thanks Again Everyone!
You should find out an accredited translators in your country. I don't know whether a lawyer or Notary will certify a translation, if he/she is not a translator. If your notary or lawyer can read the original and translation, well, he/should certify that the he/she did the translation.

What CIC require is:

Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Does she do translation work? If so, she would probably be fine. CIC is a bit hazy on the definition of 'certified translator'. If she belongs to some translation association, that seems to be enough. She should provide an affidavit stating her name, qualifications, and that the translation supplied is a true version of the original.

Actually, reading Wilson's post above, it seems the woman you know would be fine. She's not in Canada, so not a member of any Canadian translator's association (presumably), so the affidavit would be necessary.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree canadianwoman with your recommendation.

In fact it is not so easy to find out government licensed multilingual translator every corner of the world. If a person is confident is to do an accurate translation ( probably English language teachers ), that would work, provided an affidavit is attached as specified by CIC.

Similar problems were faced by lot of applicants in EU and some other countries.

EmploymentOppty

May 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In fact, any certified translation company from EU should work as long as their translators have certificates and are able to provide affidavits sealed by Notary Public.
Try these: http://www.docsbase.ca/ they should have a branch in Italy and they're relatively cheap

fpalazzo

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hi,
Please, could you assist me with my question?
I've got my document (birth certificate) translated by a certified agency in Toronto, they used the original document to proceed with the translation.
The translation is certified, but not the photocopy they took and attached with the document. So, after that, I took my original document to a Notaty Public in order to get the certified true copy.
Do you believe I will have any problems with that?
Thank you!

sindhu148

Apr 26, 2018
Hi, I am from India (Chennai). I would need to translate italian PCC. does anyone know who will translate with the affidavit which CIC canada requires.
Kindly let me know