+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

translation advice please

drak

Feb 28, 2011
Hello folks, maybe someone can answer a question we have: I am a Canadian citizen living in belgium with my Dutch partner - we are getting all our documents together and we are trying to understand the translation requirements. Are there different levels of official translations? For instance, do we need the same level of translation for a letter from her father describing our relationship as for her police "good conduct" certificate? And how about our rental agreement?

I will ask the consulate tomorrow, just wondering what you people out there have experienced. Thanks very much for all replies!!

Panda

Dec 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
AOR Received.
24-01-2011
File Transfer...
18-01-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Passport Req..
23-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
Very Soon...
Any documents that you are submitting with your application should be translated to english ( if in any other language )

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You are supposed to use a certified translator. For official documents, I would use a certified translator. Because of the expense, for other things such as proof of a genuine relationship (emails, chat logs, letters) I would not use a certified translator, I would just do it myself or have a family member or friend do it (unless your "region specific" forms tell you you cannot translate things yourself). Other people on this forum have done it this way, and have reported no problems.
As well, everything has to be translated into English or French, so if anything you have already has French on it, you don't need to translate it.

AlieW

Star Member
Aug 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv. Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2011
Doc's Request.
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
14-02-2011
File Transfer...
08-02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
We did a certified translation of the neccessary official docs (his military record, the birth certificate, and the police check (ours goes straight to the VO but if not I would do it as well) and also a few of the key pieces of evidence of our common-law relationship (joint rental agreements, identity documents with the same address). We spent quite a bit of time getting the banks, insurance companies, phone companies, ect to write us letters, or issue statements in English. So that we didn't have to translate those. Most were more then happy to do so and didn't charge us (we felt this was more official then having friends translate the documents and not as expensive as having them certified). As we applied Common-Law we had to send them a lot of additional evidence proving the common-law status of our relationship.

We were also picky and had our friends/family write letters describing our relationship in english - or as some of our friends understand (read and speak) english well but don't write well, we had a third party help them write the letters. (His parents don't speak or understand english so we didn't include a letter from them).

All our written chat was in english - and the few emails that weren't we didn't include - but the consensus so far is with the chats/emails you (or a friend) can translate it.

I don't think there is any hard an fast rule - I assume if you submit something and you translated the document yourself, or had a friend do it and the VO wants a certified copy they will ask you to send them another copy that has been certified.

cuds

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"Support letters" from family/friends were translated by us and the Dutch copy was attached to the translated English copy, both the Dutch and English was signed by who wrote the letter and we copied from our Dutch friends/family their identity cards and attached those to the letter as well. Just so Visa Office Paris would see we are not making support letters ourselves.

We did not translate rent agreements, but highlighted the dates and price.

In case you mean by Dutch, Belgian and not Holland;
As far as the criminal record check paper(no idea how else to call it?!). You can ask that in French (oh the joys of both countries having English and French as official languages) and you'll have it within a few days. You email, they send a paper copy in the mail. I can look up the email address of the person I emailed about this if you'd like. Doesn't cost you anything.

In Belgium you can also get an international birth certificate. Just ask at the town council. This is also free.

As a matter of fact, I did not pay for any translation or documents in Belgium.

Also something I did ... I went to the town council/gemeentehuis and let them validate a lot of copies for me. Examples; copy of passport, copy of birth certificate, copy of proof of nationality, copy of degree, copy of identity card, copy of drivers license, copy of criminal record, ... Even the things I didn't really need, it looks so much better with an official stamp and autograph on it :) I had (and still have) a ton of copies from everything possible, they knew me after a while at the town council lol. All for free of course ;)

CanucksSL

Jun 7, 2019
Hi there, my boyfriends rental agreement is in danish and we were looking at getting a translation of the rental agreement but would cost 300+ canadian dollars, can someone point in the right direction as we have heard mixed things about certified translations and just regular translations for this?
We did not think it would be this much! thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there, my boyfriends rental agreement is in danish and we were looking at getting a translation of the rental agreement but would cost 300+ canadian dollars, can someone point in the right direction as we have heard mixed things about certified translations and just regular translations for this?
We did not think it would be this much! thanks
You can translate that yourself. Any official proofs, i.e. birth/marriage/divorce certificates, PCCs etc., need to be formally translated, along with any chat/communication proofs.

StanDiv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
You are supposed to use a certified translator. For official documents, I would use a certified translator. Because of the expense, for other things such as proof of a genuine relationship (emails, chat logs, letters) I would not use a certified translator, I would just do it myself or have a family member or friend do it (unless your "region specific" forms tell you you cannot translate things yourself). Other people on this forum have done it this way, and have reported no problems.
As well, everything has to be translated into English or French, so if anything you have already has French on it, you don't need to translate it.
My question is when my lawyer submitted my application in September 2019, we gave translated copies o her birth certificate and other government documents that were in TAMIL LANGUAGE. As for the chat logs from whats app, FB nd SMS we did not give any translation since "it was not necessary" according to my lawyer. And we would type in TAMIL using english alphabets (TANGLISH ). SO after reading few blogs on translation I got a bit worried since my file has now been transferred to CPC MISSISSAUGA AFTER WE GOT AOR1, MEDICAL & BIO COMPLETED. So I contacted the attorney and addressed my concerns...He says not to worry about it because thats not needed for our case! I AM SUPER CONFUSED AND WORRIED...I GAVE 3 YEARS WORTH OF CHAT LOG ON WHATS APP....PLZ ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO AT THIS POINT GUYS

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My question is when my lawyer submitted my application in September 2019, we gave translated copies o her birth certificate and other government documents that were in TAMIL LANGUAGE. As for the chat logs from whats app, FB nd SMS we did not give any translation since "it was not necessary" according to my lawyer. And we would type in TAMIL using english alphabets (TANGLISH ). SO after reading few blogs on translation I got a bit worried since my file has now been transferred to CPC MISSISSAUGA AFTER WE GOT AOR1, MEDICAL & BIO COMPLETED. So I contacted the attorney and addressed my concerns...He says not to worry about it because thats not needed for our case! I AM SUPER CONFUSED AND WORRIED...I GAVE 3 YEARS WORTH OF CHAT LOG ON WHATS APP....PLZ ADVISE ME ON WHAT TO DO AT THIS POINT GUYS
Communication proofs such as chats have been required to be formally translated for awhile. Your lawyer is an idiot.

StanDiv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Communication proofs such as chats have been required to be formally translated for awhile. Your lawyer is an idiot.
This is putting me on a whole different level of stress! I am wondering if anyone who went through this path (submitting without translating their chat logs) can also tell me of what the outcome was and how they tackled it. Help me out guys please!